Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics System One Humidifier runs out of water
Question 
Respironics System One Humidifier runs out of water
For the last several months my 3-year-old unit runs out of water even if I set the number low. Toward the end of a usage the air smells like plastic. The heating plate does not seem to be that hot. Is there an adjustment I am missing? My mask does not seem to be leaking and the statistics say the "large Leak" score is close to 0.
I should explain that my system is now a REMstar Auto-A-Flex and the pressure is 14. Yes, the a-flex is not doing much good.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics System One Humidifier runs out of water
Have you tried a humidifier setting of "o" to check water usage with bypass humidification?
Are you using the "fixed" or "adaptive setting?"
Are you using "preheat?"
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Idea 
Thank you for the response. I did lower my setting to 2 but will try at 0.
Are you using the "fixed" or "adaptive setting?" I do not see any place where that is an option.
Are you using "preheat?" If you mean a heated hose, I am not using it.

It is strange because the first half of the night it uses almost all of the water. After I refill it it hardly uses any. I have had some nights with large leaks but this does not seem to line up with those nights.

Again, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think I used the series of machine you've got, so I'm not sure if you'd have it, but the preheat is definitely on 10 Series ResMed units. It would allow you to preheat the humidifier water on a preset timer before firing up your blower for the night's therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
And I thought I was "Sarcastic" "Dave". I double-checked and could not find anything about preheat. My wife uses the newer DreamStation and she does have preheat. In the meanwhile, I lowered my Humidifier setting, first to 0 and then to 1 and the water has not run out and I still am not drying out. I will continue at 1 and see if the results stay the same. Thanks for the reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great news!
Post Reply Post Reply
The resperonics system one humidifier setting is relative to ambient. I got that from a youtube video with a representative from Respironics at a trade show. So is the temperature it heats the water too. This is to prevent condensation (rainout). I find the best thing to do is buy a humidifier for your room. Just make sure to use filtered or distilled water. I didn't and the display on one of my machine is cloudy. No doubt due to the white dust in the air from the hard tap water.
Post Reply Post Reply
So a setting of 2 in the summer requires more water than in the winter. right? Which is why my problem seems to be disappearing as we get colder and drier.
Thanks and welcome to Apnea Board. I don't use it a great deal but it does help when I need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  What is ridiculous is that Respironics (and others) hide BASIC information about their machines behind a Clinical PayWall.  It's as if they want us totally dependent on paying them hundred to thousands of dollars just to satisfy a basic human need (sleep).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,202 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.