Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpretation of Oximeter data
Interpretation of Oximeter data
Hi all
I have various symptoms of UARS and I'm trying to understand whether my oximeter results supports this. My next step is to ask my doctor for a full sleep study but I'd like to understand how to interpret the oximeter results first. 

Is there a recommended guide to interpreting Oximeter data? In particular I'd like to understand what is normal for Sp02 desaturations (mine: 18)  and Pulse Change events (mine: 574) in Oscar. I've included a screen shot of my data.

Many thanks

***  Moderator Note: Corrupted image removed  ***
Images can not be hosted from a personal computer.
Please upload apnea related images (only) to the Apnea Board server or use an image hosting service for all others.  
Please read this link for further information:  "How to: Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board" .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpretation of Oximeter data
The only thing my pulmonologist looked at was if my O2 went below 88% for several minutes. Spikes mean nothing.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpretation of Oximeter data
(08-02-2023, 12:33 AM)staceyburke Wrote: The only thing my pulmonologist looked at was if my O2 went below 88% for several minutes.  Spikes mean nothing.

Not true.

A VQ missmatch can cause intermittant hypoxemia that may last less than as little as 10 seconds before compensatory mechanisms swing the other way and bring o2 levels back up.

Cardiac compensation is the primary recovery mechanism for hypoxemia so this may show up as a high level of "pulse changes" in the o2ring.

This idea desaturations have to be prolonged to have any clinical meaning is very misleading and if doctors are stating this as fact, completely negligent.

Many people are misdiagnosed with sleep disorders when in reality it's unresolved chronic lung function and gas exchange issues (which could be treated) because no-one is looking for it or ruling it out before the PAP prescription is signed off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data interpretation - Luna G3 Big Ultima Energy 3 122 04-14-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,562 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Oscar Data Interpretation UPDATED Johand77 1 145 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR data interpretation Johand77 8 236 04-10-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Johand77
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,100 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 151 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 302 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.