Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rice Therapy 23/24
Rice Therapy 23/24
Happy New Year everyone!

I thought I'd start off the year by showing you 2 contrasting sleeping positions. One on my back and one on my side. 

I wear a snug collar, but a snug collar won't help if you're on your back. 

Last night I made a conscious effort to stay on my side (with the help of 2 wedges of course)which was a very good night. 

The chart from the night before last I had started to sleep on my side, but without the wedge close enough and tucked under me enough. It was a rough night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Bed         best sleep I've ever had...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rice Therapy 23/24
My soft collar did not help much either.  I tried sleeping on my side, I had results just like you did. I am on my side every night now.   My respiratory therapist always told me (for 20 plus years) that it was just fine to sleep on my back, that the CPAP would take care of it.  How wrong she was...
Post Reply Post Reply
@Rice95

Dead on right!

During certain phases of sleep, the body muscles partially shuts down, especially in in REM sleep.

If you are flat on your back, under the effects of gravity, your tongue can fall back on your soft pallet, which, can act like a "flap" and effectively fall back and block your upper airway under the weight of your tongue. 

In this phase of deep sleep, muscle tone is lost. It would be difficult to move you head up. 

Can't see how a collar can help in this solution.

Better results are often obtained simply by sleeping on your side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Amen and Amen ! 

SHa_clap2
CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that is a dramatic improvement!
Simply sleeping on your side. That is why the data is so important. 

How do you feel in the morning after sleeping on your side? Significantly more rested?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all
Sorry I’ve been away for so long. I thought I’d chime in and say hello, and for everyone to stay the course with their CPAP therapy! I haven’t stopped and I’ve been doing well. Ups and downs  mostly positional for me but I have my wedge pillows to keep me on my side and soft cervical collar to keep the neck from crimping and closing off the airway. I’ve felt very rested and I’ve kept the AHI under 3. If anyone needs a word if encouragement I hope this helped!

Post Reply Post Reply
Great job.  I am amazed how some like you can get these exceptional leak rates.  I have never seen a number as low as yours in all my years of trying.  Even using a chin strap and FFM doesn't get me there. but you also have pretty low pressures.  Keep up the great work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for updating. I think you should be pretty knowledgeable on Positional Apnea by now! Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad your doing well.

Attached is a video by a doctor of demonstrating upper airway resistant caused by sleeping position.

The video is quite self explanatory.

I am not a great fan of SSC, but in this particular scenario, I can see real merit, if the discomfort factor can be overcome.

I believe it depends on each person, and especially on their physical "built", and other physical factors.

Here's the video:-

https://youtu.be/_bGtvMb_xSo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another doctor who puts things clearly is Dr Vik Veer. ENT Surgeon of London. He focuses a lot on sleep apnea, especially upper airways issues, as well as general topics. Easy to listen for the layman, and well balanced arguements I think.

-------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I am Opal! It’s a never ending process with mostly good results. You’ve been a huge help. The video posted by expat is great. 

Thank  you for the video positional expat! 
Very revealing. Chin has to stay up. It can also droop when you’re on your side as well. 
That’s why I use a collar. Not too tight or too loose. 

Thanks cmpman! The Dreamwear mask is really good at sealing leaks. The key is the velcro and keeping the tightness even and not too loose or tight…kind of like the cervical collar. 

Happy sleeping everyone!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 11 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 151 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 248 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,259 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,332 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 26 802 03-22-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.