Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rough First Night
RE: Rough First Night
(10-02-2017, 09:42 AM):Anaja09 Wrote: I managed to sleep, sort of, for about 6.5 hours last night using the CPAP, so I think of that as a minor victory in itself! I switched back to the heated hose, and the acrid smell returned--although not as intensely.

Woke up pretty congested, so I may have to turn the humidity up a bit. All-in-all, I think I'm going to get the hang of it!

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I'm tryin' Smile

I feel like I may be coming down with a pretty major cold that is going around here at the moment. I have no idea how to approach all this with a cold. Guess I'll learn!
Post Reply Post Reply
Had another night of about 6.5 hours! Yay! Still working out a bit of a hiccup with the mask.

You see, I have long hair. I mean, down to the small of my back. During the day, I wear it up, but at night, well, this hair (even braided or in a pony) and the mask straps are having a bit of an issue that allows the mask to slide around a bit. Roll over, adjust, roll, adjust. Maybe I can put the pony over the strap, kinda like the young women who pull their hair through the strap of the ball caps?

Oh well, I'm just rambling now Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2017, 06:42 AM)Anaja09 Wrote: Had another night of about 6.5 hours! Yay! Still working out a bit of a hiccup with the mask.

You see, I have long hair. I mean, down to the small of my back. During the day, I wear it up, but at night, well, this hair (even braided or in a pony) and the mask straps are having a bit of an issue that allows the mask to slide around a bit. Roll over, adjust, roll, adjust. Maybe I can put the pony over the strap, kinda like the young women who pull their hair through the strap of the ball caps?

"Maybe I can put the pony over the strap, kinda like the young women who pull their hair through the strap of the ball caps?"

This is exactly what you should try.  The pony tail will stop the bottom strap from rising.  When my hair was longer, I used this technique.
Works best if the pony tail is lower near the occipital area.  
The only issue would be if you are a back sleeper.....it may be uncomfortable.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2017, 06:42 AM)Anaja09 Wrote: Had another night of about 6.5 hours! Yay! Still working out a bit of a hiccup with the mask.

I too have those beastly straps wandering around and pulling out my nose plugs.

I'm about to pose a solution under my post on the P10. With photos. I've siliconized the straps! Yes, I added stick! It cost me about $1. I took about 6 inches of non-slip hairband, folded it lengthwise, and stitched it around the straps (theoretically I didn't stitch through to the headgear, but I goofed in a couple of spots). Voilà...a sticky mask strap!

You might be able to simply wrap the headband around the mask strap and then anchor it somehow at both ends.

Right now, I'm thrilled with myself. We'll see how this works tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, ladies! I did the hair thing last night, and it worked pretty well! I hope the new headband strap trick works for you, HalfAsleep....let us know!

I usually get the best sleep when I do not have to be aware of something attached to me...which is difficult when using CPAP therapy and an insulin pump Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2017, 05:35 AM)Anaja09 Wrote: Thank you, ladies! I did the hair thing last night, and it worked pretty well! I hope the new headband strap trick works for you, HalfAsleep....let us know!

I usually get the best sleep when I do not have to be aware of something attached to me...which is difficult when using CPAP therapy and an insulin pump Smile
It worked, like, genius. It didn't move an inch in the night. Great seal on the mask. I'll post photos soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's awesome news! Can't wait to see your solution Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2017, 05:07 PM)Anaja09 Wrote: That's awesome news! Can't wait to see your solution Smile

I posted my solution with photos at http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid225885
IIRC it's on page 3 or so of that thread.

It keeps the mask leak-free too!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow [Symptoms] Having a very rough night Soundman73 14 578 02-06-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Soundman73
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 414 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 869 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 920 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Rough couple nights Mike3ga8 1 501 08-29-2022, 09:09 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New user - overall good results but last night rough djpax13 3 594 08-01-2022, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Rough start Kephus 8 1,191 01-05-2021, 12:33 PM
Last Post: stanleydean

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.