Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 Auto v AirSense 10
S9 Auto v AirSense 10
I have had my Resmed S9 Autoset since I began using a CPAP (almost 4 yrs), on my last visit to my supplier about 2 months ago to get a new Resmed Mirage Quattro mask, the cushion on my old one U/S.
The Clinical nurse asked me if my S9 was making a noise at all. Because if it was I could get it replaced with the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, I told her it was still working well.

In the last couple of weeks it has been noisier than normal when it first starts up i.e. the sound of rushing air noise is a lot louder, sometimes the noise does wake me if I am not sleeping well. I was wondering how much better the NEW ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is compared to my old S9? (My service provider pays the full cost of my machine and parts.)

I am also thinking of looking for a new mask, this Mirage Quattro is beginning to give the yips. Some nights I fight it to stop the leaks other nights I drop right off and never have an intrusion from it. My Grandson had his appendix earlier this year and he was allowed to bring his oxygen mask home with him. i had a look at it and thought wow! just what I am looking for, it had a soft air filled pillow that fitted over both mouth & nose (FF style) I thought to myself whoa if only I could adapt that for my CPAP, it was lovely and soft feeling on my face.
Does anybody know of any FF mask that has an air-filled type cushion?
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 Auto v AirSense 10
G'day subyroo.

Do a search for "Resmed noise" or "Resmed noisy" and you'll find some threads discussing the noise levels. Just like the S9, some people find the A10 is silent while others complain about it being too noisy. It seems the humidifier seal is a potential culprit with the new model - I don't know if it's been fixed in later production runs. So there's a possibility that your new machine won't necessarily be any noisier than your old one.

However, if you can get a four-year-old machine replaced for free, then you should do it. They have a nominal life of five years (though many machines sold in Australia have a five year guarantee which indicates an expected life long beyond that).

Quote:My service provider pays the full cost of my machine and parts.

Can you introduce me to them? Wink

Re the mask, try the Quattro Air or the new F10 (or is it F20?) or else the F&P Simplus - these all have a cushion type seal, They work for some people and not for others, so you really need to see what works for your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's always nice to get a replacement while you can still use the old machine for an emergency backup. There are few reasons not to get the replacement, and the Airsense 10 Autoset is a bit more compact.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2017, 09:49 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day subyroo.

Do a search for "Resmed noise" or "Resmed noisy" and you'll find some threads discussing the noise levels. Just like the S9, some people find the A10 is silent while others complain about it being too noisy. It seems the humidifier seal is a potential culprit with the new model - I don't know if it's been fixed in later production runs. So there's a possibility that your new machine won't necessarily be any noisier than your old one.

However, if you can get a four-year-old machine replaced for free, then you should do it. They have a nominal life of five years (though many machines sold in Australia have a five year guarantee which indicates an expected life long beyond that).

Thanks for all your feedback!

Quote:My service provider pays the full cost of my machine and parts.

Can you introduce me to them?  Wink

You already know them ..... Federal Government.  Smile  

Re the mask, try the Quattro Air or the new F10 (or is it F20?) or else the F&P Simplus - these all have a cushion type seal, They work for some people and not for others, so you really need to see what works for your face.

Thanks for those suggestions, I will look into them when I am due for my next replacement or my current one ends up driving me balmy.
That F&P Simplus looks very close to what I was talking about earlier, if that cushion is indeed like an air filled pillow.

I wash my face and nose when showering before going to bed, I also clean the cushion of my current mask with the Resmed Mask Wipes first thing after waking up, but the cushion soon loses it firmness and becomes a floppy piece of plastic.
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2017, 10:30 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's always nice to get a replacement while you can still use the old machine for an emergency backup.  

The Government will take back the old machine as technically it does not belong to me.

There are few reasons not to get the replacement, and the Airsense 10 Autoset is a bit more compact.

Can you elaborate on the Pro's and Con's of why not to get the Airsense 10 Autoset?
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Can you elaborate on the Pro's and Con's of why not to get the Airsense 10 Autoset?

There's no reason, really. The question of noise might go either way, but I suspect if you get one now it will be fine. With the S9 you can remove the humidifier to give you a very compact little travel unit (not that I've ever bothered). With the Airsense 10 the humidifier is an integral part of the design - it is possible to remove it, but you then need a blanking plate so there's not much gain. The Airsense is a smaller unit than the S9 + humidifier.

Operationally, the basic algorithms are the same. The later model Airsense (and Airsense for Her) have a "softer, more gentle" algorithm which might be useful if you find the pressure changes disturbing.

Your existing masks will work with either machine, but you will need a new heated hose as the connections are incompatible.

All-in-all there's not really any reason not to get the new one. (Sorry for the double negative)
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with DB. In addition the Airsense 10 can report RERA and the machine is not bothered by extra files from your computer, so no need to lock SD when reading data. Overall I think the Airsense 10 is an improvement to what was already a good product.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2017, 07:29 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Quote:Can you elaborate on the Pro's and Con's of why not to get the Airsense 10 Autoset?

There's no reason, really. The question of noise might go either way, but I suspect if you get one now it will be fine.  With the S9 you can remove the humidifier to give you a very compact little travel unit (not that I've ever bothered). With the Airsense 10 the humidifier is an integral part of the design - it is possible to remove it, but you then need a blanking plate so there's not much gain. The Airsense is a smaller unit than the S9 + humidifier.

Operationally, the basic algorithms are the same. The later model Airsense (and Airsense for Her) have a "softer, more gentle" algorithm which might be useful if you find the pressure changes disturbing.

Your existing masks will work with either machine, but you will need a new heated hose as the connections are incompatible.

All-in-all there's not really any reason not to get the new one. (Sorry for the double negative)

No worries DeepBreathing, all and any information is Welcome. Thanks
Once I get to sleep it is normally the air leaks that wake me on the odd occasion. Wife tells me I still snore once in awhile, I don't know how she hears me over her own snoring. Too-funny She has had a sleep study done but they said she does not need a machine.
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
Another advantage to the A10 is myAir. I know a lot of people don't like it because it gives minimal data, but I find myself using it almost every day. All I do is launch the app on my phone or laptop and I can see the hours used, AHI, and number of times I got out of bed. And the data is automatically uploaded via cell phone tower.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepster, that info is nice to know. Fortunately I am one of the few people who are not attached via an umbilical chord to their cell phone. Well-done
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,617 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 304 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 425 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,322 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 625 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 623 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Need help with Airsense auto 10:) (uars?) shedu1337 0 543 09-10-2023, 11:30 AM
Last Post: shedu1337

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.