Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SD card malfunction with ResMed S9
SD card malfunction with ResMed S9
Out of the blue, when I tried to use my cpap the other night, I couldn't get past the screen reading:  "SD card in use.  Do not remove SD card or turn off machine."  I've noticed this alert come on in the past, but it goes away in a few moments.  Now, it is stuck there. 

So how long do you sit at a broken red light?  After several minutes I tried turning off the machine and removing the sd card and re-inserting.  Same problem.  My memory is not clear now, but through some combination of actions, I may have finally got a message that said "to use cpap, remove SD card".  Anyway, that is what I did, and the machine worked OK after I did that.  I presume I am just not recording data as I should be. 

So perhaps the best solution is just buy a new sd card, with the understanding a lot of old data will be lost.  But, what happened?  I have not dropped the machine lately, and have not had the sd card out of the machine for a few weeks.  We travelled cross country, and I did not want to drag the machine into each motel, so I had not been using it for a while.  I want to say the machine still worked properly the first time or two after I unpacked it, but I cannot be sure of that.  

Another possibly related issue is that I have not been able to reset the clock to the new western time zone.  The display tells me I have an entered an invalid time due to the fact data has already been recorded for the time entered.  The only solution is I have set the calendar to one day later, but now have the time of day correct. 

I am sorry if this has already been covered.  I tried to do a search for this issue, but there were too many results to be useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SD card malfunction with ResMed S9
Here are some things you may wish to try:
  1. Completely power down the S9 before removing  or inserting your SD card.
  2. Reformat the SD card. First, copy it's contents to a dedicated directory on you computer.
  3. Make sure that the SD card is "Write Enabled". The tab on the right front, should be in the forward most position.
  4. SD cards can, and do, go bad in a heartbeat.  It's a good idea to have a backup on hand.
  5. Reformatting the SD card should allow you to reset the time on the S9.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape, is it necessary to back up an sd card if you're current in your SH or Oscar folders? if I download data from my sd card, don't I already have a 'backup' in the program data folders on my computer? either one could fail but don't I already have 2 places where my data is stored (sd card and hard drive)? just checking in case it's important for some reason to go the next step to have an external backup. wouldn't hurt for sure but is it necessary?
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct. Not all people use SH/OSCAR, so out of habit, I post the warning without thinking.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ah. thanks for that. no worries, it's good to remind us under any circumstances.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape:  Thanks for your suggestions.  By "write enabled" I assume you mean I should slide the plastic slider on the SD card to the "unlock" position?  If so, I am a little concerned as I have read elsewhere that following that procedure may allow my laptop computer to write some code on the SD card that will cause my ResMed S9 to reject it.

I am running Windows 10 on my laptop (against my own will  Smile ) in case that matters.  I have previously downloaded SD card data to Sleepyhead, and it was able to do that again today, even though my S9 doesn't like my card any more.  I have not tried to download Oscar software yet.  But at least my historical data is backed up on Sleepyhead.

As you can possibly tell, I am not proficient nor confident mucking around with reformatting SD cards, etc.  Unless you see a problem with it, I will probably just go buy another 4GB SD card and try to start using that. 

I was mostly concerned with what happened in the first place so I don't do it again.  But since you say SD cards sometimes self destruct for no apparent reason, I may just assume that is what happened.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct about locking the SD card, especially for the S9.  The S9 is the problem child for this problem.  If you would like, I have provided a link to registry modification to turn off this feature in Windows to help prevent this problem from occurring in the future if you forget to lock it.

Prevent SysVol Info Write
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I got away with using my ResMed S9 SD card unlocked in my iMac for years.
Can't now.
So I lock it, then put it in the iMac so OSCAR can read it.
No big deal.
I love the way that OSCAR reminds me to take my SD card out and reinsert it in my cpap machine!

My sleep-doc-from-h.ll was only interested in reading my number of hours on my machine to make sure that I was compliant. I endured his "care" for 12 years. My fault. I should have fired him! He retired. May he enjoy a long retirement....

I feel I've come such a long way since I discovered this forum and started participating here. Thank you everyone!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,205 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 281 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question ResMed AirSense 10 SD Card reuse? uselessdetails 3 465 02-16-2024, 02:51 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Resmed Airsense 11 SD Card? Dawg 1 297 02-11-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 434 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  ResMed Airsence 10 for her SD Card BNelson 4 308 01-12-2024, 06:20 PM
  Replacement SD card for Resmed Airsense 10 JoeS01 7 1,000 10-16-2023, 05:00 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.