Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SD slot life ?
RE: SD slot life ?
An SD card extender didn't work for me either. I check run my SD card everyday on Sleepyhead--hopefully my machine will keep going to five years--3 years 2 months now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I realize my reply to some of the questions in this discussion may be a bit belated, however, I will supply some comments regarding my own experience with the insertion / removal of the SD card.

I started CPAP around mid-June 2016.  From that time on I have been monitoring daily my CPAP and %SpO2 data.  I have been inserting and removing my SD card from my CPAP machine daily.  Around mid-June 2017 my SD card started crumbling (the little write-protect tab started coming loose and the card casing started splitting).  About the same time the socket/slot in the CPAP machine stopped retaining the SD card so I had to restrain the card using the little CPAP cover to hold it in position (I can't remember how I did this but I somehow managed).  I notified my medical folks and brought the CPAP machine to them and they replaced my CPAP machine (still under warranty so it did not cost me anything).  I was firmly chastised regarding inserting and removing the SD card daily saying I should not do that as the CPAP slot was not designed for that much usage.

I then ordered an extension cable for the SD card and started using that for removal & insertion of the SD card.  It was a bit tricky setting up at first but it worked fine from early July 2017 until late February 2019 when I started using the FlashAir wireless card (also tricky to set up but excellent instructions elsewhere in this forum helped me immensely).

In summary, the SD socket on my original CPAP machine lasted a couple of weeks over 1 year with my inserting and removing it daily.  The extension cable never wore out (July 2017 to February 2019) but one 16 gb SD card did start crumbling in the time period from July 2017 until February 2019 -- the write protect tab broke on it the same as the 1st card.  I replaced the 2nd card with another 16 gb card at that time and was able to transfer all the data from the 2nd card to the 3rd card using my computer. FYI: A little Scotch tape wrapped over the damaged write protect tab area makes the card writable again and kind of keeps the card together.  I had no problems with compatibility (card corruption) with either transfer.  I just copied the data from the 2nd card to my computer's hard drive and then copied the data from my hard drive to the 3rd card using the F.I.F.O. (First In, First Out) method.  I have a Win7 desktop and it does not corrupt the SD card when it writes information to it (I believe the newer Windows systems do corrupt the SD card by writing unwanted system files to the card).

I am now getting up to speed with the new wireless FlashAir card and I think it's the way to go as I no longer need to remove and insert the card at all.  I am no longer using the SD card extension cable -- the FlashAir card is installed directly into the CPAP slot and should not need removal / installation anymore.

My router did a strange thing a few days ago and reset itself with no warning.  I had to log our network printer and my cellular phone back onto the router as well as reinstall the FlashAir chip (which was a bit tricky since I did not know what had happened, ergo, I didn't know what to 'fix' at first).  Again the instructions elsewhere in this forum helped a whole lot and I eventually got everything working again, albeit with changed IP addresses.  Thank you!

For what it's worth (probably very little)...
Tubaman (Carl)
"We run as fast as we can.  To get as far as we can.  So that when we finally get there we have that much further to run to get back to where we should have been."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2019, 03:07 AM)KTubaman Wrote:  I have a Win7 desktop and it does not corrupt the SD card when it writes information to it (I believe the newer Windows systems do corrupt the SD card by writing unwanted system files to the card).

The issue with SD corruption only occurs with Resmed S9 machines this issue was fixed with the Autoset 10 machines it has nothing to do with your OS
Post Reply Post Reply
To backup your SD data one method I have used is use HDclone. I have the paid version but think the free one will work as well.
All I did is store the SD card to an iso file then you can restore the iso to another SD card.  When it is restoring the iso it also reformats 
the target to what ever the format was on the source disk. Takes about  4 min. to download and install the program and then  a min or 2
to make the iso file.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried 50 cm long extender and couldn't get it to work . But I decided
to try a 25 cm one I found on Amazon and it seems to work very well.
I may end up using that wifi flash card solution but when it comes to
software i am no great shakes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 470 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,342 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,496 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 504 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Airsense 10 end of life JamesW 3 698 12-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 1,031 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Motor Life Exceeded, at 21,900 hours Aircurve 10 Vauto Sleeprider 52 7,555 10-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.