Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SP02 levels and sleep apnea, pressure etc.
SP02 levels and sleep apnea, pressure etc.
Hi everyone,

I am a 68 year old male, overweight and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea with 56 events per hour.  What signalled this problem was noticing that my SP02 levels were often low during the night using my Amazfit smartwatch.  After the initial diagnosis during my first night with the CPAP at the clinic, and a nose mask and taping my mouth(because I am a mouth breather) I was able to use a pressure of 8-10. I was amazed at the clinic that frist night I had completely normal SP02 readings.  

I now have a resmed airsense 10 for her and pressure was set at 6-10.  I was feeling that there was not enough air for me after the first night so I set the machine at 8.5-10 which was much more comfortable.  

Problem:
AT the clinic and for the first little while my SP02 levels were great.  In the last several days, the SP02 levels are getting worse.  See attachment.  I have included one of the OSCAR readings.  (Sorry I am new at this so wasn't sure what charts to send)  Last night the machine only recorded 16 minutes of my night's sleep with the CPAP.

I am wondering:
1. if my fitness watch is giving me flaky numbers for the SP02 levels
2. If somehow because I am getting more air it is having a reverse affect on my SP02 levels?

Does anyone have any suggestions for an SP02 monitor that is reasonably priced and accurate?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SP02 levels and sleep apnea, pressure etc.
You are using a pressure of 8.6 -10 with EPR (exhale pressure relief) at 2, which means your actual pressures are only 8.6/4 to 10/8 (inhale/exhale). Based on your chart all events are central rather than obstructive, and this is pretty common with increased ventilation from CPAP with EPR. You have some work to do on leaks, and we want to find pressure that is more comfortable for you. Since EPR is usually the cause for CA events and you want a bit more pressure or flow, I think revising settings to 8.0-12.0 is a reasonable step. I think you should try setting EPR at 1 and see if that reduces the CA events. Let us know what mask you are using and there may be some tips to prevent the mask leaks. This does not look like mouth breathing. Finally, be sure to turn off the monthly calendar before taking an Oscar screenshot. Just click on the triangle in the date line. This will allow more relevant information such as machine settings to show.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much!  I am using the reamed n30i nasal mask. Thanks also for the hints on the screen shots.  Do you have suggestions for the feeling that I am not getting enough air.  That is why I am loosening the mask.  I saw on one of the posts one person found using a, larger hose worked.  The hose I am using is a narrow one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m on oxygen 24/7. You numbers are to low and I would think the Dr would prescribe supplemental oxygen. It really is easy to use it with your Cpap.  It just hooks up between the machine and hose. Only problem the oxygen concentrator is loud. Get a long oxygen line and put the concentratior in another room. 

I Have used one of the cheapest monitor the cms 50f. I have had very good luck with it. Price is a little less than 100 to 150.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2021, 08:30 AM)revbkelly Wrote: Thanks so much!  I am using the reamed n30i nasal mask. Thanks also for the hints on the screen shots.  Do you have suggestions for the feeling that I am not getting enough air.  That is why I am loosening the mask.  I saw on one of the posts one person found using a, larger hose worked.  The hose I am using is a narrow one.

Good to see your post.  Checked the date.  Glad you are ok after the tornado in Barrie!

Welcome to the forum.

Dave
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
The air starved feeling can usually be resolved with more pressure. With nasal pillow masks sometimes a larger pillow size. Personally with inhale pressures under 10 I feel the same way. Do note that I'm using a BiLevel and you need to add the PS to get inhale pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome!  Be great to chat sometime about your experience if you are open to it!  Yup we steered away from buying in South Barrie where the tornado happened because we were told it was prone to that kind of weather event.
Post Reply Post Reply

[attachment=33879][attachment=33880][attachment=33880]
Hi everyone!

Tried upping my pressure to 8-12 and reducing EPR to 1 and as you see in the PDF below still have way to much low blood oxygen.  What is confusing is that at the clinic I had none and the first few nights with my machine, NONE...  Not sure what is happening here.  Even without the CPAP I have higher oxygen levels and less hypoxic events.

Any suggestions!

Thanks!

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
May I recommend using the F12 key while in the Daily screen in lieu of using the print feature. If, by chance, you are using a Mac, then it should be the fn+F12 key.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, the Amazfit watch doesn't have the greatest oximeter.
I would first get a proper pulse oximeter and record my oxygen levels. A finger type would be best. Here is a reasonable selection at relatively good prices. I use their small "ring" type which I wear overnight. It has bluetooth and gives a fairly accurate data.

WELLUE

If you are feeling that you are not getting enough air from your machine and barring any respiratory issues, then increasing machine pressures should help.
If your breathing does not improve, its best to get a referral for a Pulmonary Functions test from your doctor, in particular because of your age and relative body weight. Based on the results, he/she may prescribe Ventolin which is a non-steroid puffer that helps dilate your respiratory pathways and providing some comfort in breathing.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.