Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SPO2 drops to 89% when lying down..
RE: SPO2 drops to 89% when lying down..
That drop in O2 also happens to me when I'm laying down, but that's because my heart slows way down. I assume that when you had your sleep study, they noted whether you had a change in heart rate. Shallow breathing DOES decrease your O2 when laying down. We noticed that with my late sister when she was in the hospital - no apnea, but she breathed very shallow when she slept so her oxygen would gradually decrease to 87%. They raised the head of her bed and that went away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a good example.. I was lying in bed without the CPAP, got up to tend to the kiddo, got back in bed and started to relax, watching some TV..  Every now and again a monitored my SPO2 and then SPO2 drops to below 85 at some point... Then I got up and had a drink of water to get things moving..  Got back in bed and got onto the machine...

[Image: vQSkVoc.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2018, 10:22 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: That drop in O2 also happens to me when I'm laying down, but that's because my heart slows way down. I assume that when you had your sleep study, they noted whether you had a change in heart rate.  Shallow breathing DOES decrease your O2 when laying down.  We noticed that with my late sister when she was in the hospital - no apnea, but she breathed very shallow when she slept so her oxygen would gradually decrease to 87%.  They raised the head of her bed and that went away.

Yeah. my heart rate drops down to 40-45 while i sleep sometimes..   

I had a panic attack 2 years ago and doc thought I had a heart attack due to presence of elevated troponin enzymes.. so they did a cardiac cath next day and zero obstruction..   Thats when this journey started to find out why my red blood cell count is sky high and why im adrenaline fatigued and all the time and get bouts of panic...  It was all apparently due to undiagnosed sleep apnea.. and i don't snore at all. so it was tough to pinpoint apnea..

anyhow, I saw cardiologist last year around this time and he said my ticker is as fit as a horse's.. im 42, not overweight and average fitness so all of this puzzles me a lot.. I do have super high cholesterol though.. always have (250-280) but arteries are clean according to cardio cath..   

Still bothers me that my O2 drops that low and my heart rate too...  I'm starting to think it might be something else like Thyroid or pituitary related..    

Its been 2 years now trying to figure out WTF is wrong...  they still are not 100% sure..
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. If you do end up coming to a solution please let me know because it has been driving me crazy. I have had many different tests done (Echocardiogram, EKGs, Holter, Stress Test, Bronoscopy, PFT, 6 minute walk test, CT scans and many other x-rays). The only difference is that I do feel short of breath, but I contribute that to my anxiety because I am so worried about my oxygen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2018, 11:06 PM)tylereckert Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply. If you do end up coming to a solution please let me know because it has been driving me crazy. I have had many different tests done (Echocardiogram, EKGs, Holter, Stress Test, Bronoscopy, PFT, 6 minute walk test, CT scans and many other x-rays). The only difference is that I do feel short of breath, but I contribute that to my anxiety because I am so worried about my oxygen.

Absolutely!!  And I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with the same problem.. Its for sure nerve racking.. I started getting PVC irregular heart beats due to stress about all of this as well..

Weird enough and the one benefit of having such a high red blood cell count is that I can exercise for hours before im tired...  i can push my heart rate to 150bpm for an hour or more and i wont feel winded..   but the minute i put my head on a pillow everything goes pear shaped.. 

Good luck on your side and at least you know its not just you... and you are not going crazy Smile

take care.
Post Reply Post Reply
anything that happens when you are awake or falling asleep doesn't count and is another issue and probably nothing. The rest of the night was good. It was a 15 minute period, I would ignore the second part below 88% it seems to correspond to a glitch spike. Did you start the o2 the same time as you started the cpap? You have to manually time them, so the chart makes sense to what the cpap is saying. I would also use the assistant program that comes with the sensor to double check, it filters the spikes out better than sleepyhead.

Looking at your flow rate, I would guess you are mouth breathing, more data is needed to tell. If you want to see. I would also increase your min pressure.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
In your last chart, events are mainly obstructive. A higher minimum pressure of 9.0 is not a drastic change, but should help reduce OA, H and FL events, and may improve oxygenation. I think it is worth a try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found this thread on a search for SPO2 dropping when laying down.  I do the exact thing as the OP.  I discovered this because I have a recording pulse oximeter which will alarm at my setting of 89.  I go into a dampened oscillation of drops.  Yawning helps, so I have relearned to do that.  I am also going to try to breath with my diaphragm instead of my chest.  I already elevate my upper torso.  Heart people say that is OK.  I am 65 and medium shape, and get winded too easily.

This even happens at 8 in the evening while I lay and watch the P/O readings.  It happens every time I lay down at night.  95 is normal, it drops to my alarm when I lay down, and when I am asleep things are fine.  No CPAP.  Sound recording has very rare gasping events.

I figure this is extra bad for me because I try to increase my alkalinity, which negatively impacts the O2 cell pressure.  No alchohol.

I have PDF reports of the nights, but can't figure how to upload a PDF image to this site.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 393 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 828 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,060 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Movement and spO2 drops newtothis123 3 440 10-06-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Low daytime SPO2 and fatigue vpsdub 30 3,073 09-28-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: vpsdub

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.