Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sanitize CPAP
RE: Sanitize CPAP
(01-05-2019, 11:08 AM)bonjour Wrote: The TV commercials claim that it "Cleans" and "Sanitizes".  I don't see how it can possibly clean.

Their literature posted here stated to "clean" before sanitizing in SoClean, their ads certainly imply that no cleaning is required.

The very name of the machine implies that it cleans. I think this, and the scare tactics in the commercials, are the main reason people are duped into buying this thing.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2019, 10:46 AM)upsman Wrote: I would like to call on your expertise in this area to give myself more ammunition to respond to the many SoClean fanbois that I encounter.

From some of the things that I've read, the amount ozone administered in the SoClean sanitizing process is hardly enough to effectively do what their claim is. In addition, I believe the amount of time required to effectively sanitize our equipment is much longer than this machine suggests. 

I often get the argument that "Well if hospitals consider this an effective way to sanitize things, then it's good enough for me". Aren't the processes that hospitals use much more involved and complicated than just splashing a little ozone around?

Thanks.

There is no question that ozone is an effective sanitizer. It is not, however, a cleaner, and will not sanitize surfaces that are not clean. I suspect SoClean will sanitize CPAP equipment that is clean. As Bonjour stated, regular cleaning is still required. Since cleaning with mild detergent will remove and even kill significant numbers of bacteria and the bacteria present are rarely pathogenic, in my opinion there is usually no need for a higher level of sanitization. When such a need arises peroxide or other inexpensive sanitizing agents will do the job.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The people who think it's a good idea to use a "sanitizing" machine are working from a faulty assumption to begin with. There's a big difference between using stuff (for instance, CPAP mask, hose, etc.) at home and using the same stuff in a clinic or hospital. The disinfection that is done in a clinic or hospital is to prevent bacteria & viruses from being transmitted from one patient to another. At home, who cares (except for a few virus types)? Even if you don't live alone, you're all sharing most of your germs anyway, via air, dishes, utensils, bathrooms, etc.

I don't autoclave my kitchen utensils. If I were to buy some used ones at a flea market, maybe I would boil those for a while before using 'em for the first time, because who knows where they've been.

The clinical guide for each CPAP machine, and the user's guide for each mask (which contains information both for patients and for so-called "providers"), will usually have instructions for disinfecting certain components before re-using them with a different patient, generally using very hot (but not boiling) water for some number of minutes. (We could say that, to play it safe, a mask or hose should never be used by more than one patient, but that doesn't mean that it won't be. What if it's a low-budget kind of clinic staffed by former veterinarians?) At home, that's not necessary and we don't have or need the sterilizing equipment to keep the water at that exact temperature for that length of time. If I buy a used CPAP machine, I'm not going to use any mask or hose or humidifier tank that is included with it; I'll throw those out and buy new ones, or use ones that I already have, with my germs already on 'em.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll just say it.

SoClean is a placebo to offset manifestation of hypochondria and has nothing to do with sleep apnea, related conditions, or equipment.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2019, 05:40 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I'll just say it.

SoClean is a placebo to offset manifestation of hypochondria and has nothing to do with sleep apnea, related conditions, or equipment.

This! I would just add, that the company marketing SoClean is instilling hypochondria through its advertising.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2019, 09:58 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 05:40 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I'll just say it.

This! I would just add, that the company marketing SoClean is instilling hypochondria through its advertising.

A serious malady that they are intent on "curing"
Post Reply Post Reply
Every Monday morning i fill the  bathroom sink with warm water right from the tap and use about half vinegar submerge the mask, chinstrap, humidifier tank and hose in that for about an hour after taking the mask apart. then i just scrub it out by hand and drain the hose and run it all under tap water. I replace the filter every 30 days mask and hose every 6 months.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Easy Way to Clean/Sanitize Hose stanleydean 13 6,759 06-13-2016, 12:08 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.