Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Second Hand Cigarette Smoke-What Can I Do?
Second Hand Cigarette Smoke-What Can I Do?
Hi everyone, 

I am new to the forum and if you don't already know this is my first post. I have an ongoing issue and want to ask advice from others who may have dealt with similar problems. 
I live in a four-plex apartment building. Months ago a guy moved next door with his girlfriend. They both smoke a lot and not just cigarettes. All the smoke pours into my apartment through the connected heating vent system and the walls, etc. It's bad enough that it is as if someone is sitting next to me blowing smoke in my face. 
I have complained to the landlord twice, and he sent a letter to the tennants the first time I complained. The second time when I called him to tell him that things hadn't improved he shamed me basically, telling me that there's nothing he can do. It's their right to smoke in their apartment. I did explain that I have health issues including sleep apnea. His solution was for me to move, even though I've been here nearly 4 years and never caused a problem. 
I cannot afford to move so that's out of the question for now. 
I have bought to air purifiers that do little to help. 
Tonight, I bought a Soclean 2 thinking it may help as I am sick with sinus issues and a cough and no I don't think it is Coronavirus as I am basically a recluse. It is from my CPAP. This isn't my first rodeo with that and I know it is not uncommon among CPAP users. 
I am miserable with it but don't want to go to the doctor because why take a chance on getting even sicker with "the virus." 
Anyway, my question is doesn't the CPAP just concentrate the second hand smoke in the air and I just suck it right into my sinsuses and lungs when I use it? 
Are there any ideas or suggestions that can help figure out what to do in this situation? 
One more thing is, his bedroom is connected to mine by a common wall. 

Thank you for comments, advice, and suggestions in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Second Hand Cigarette Smoke-What Can I Do?
Welcome to Apnea Board,

What exactly to do and with what products I'm not certain. I think you're on the right track with the air purifiers, but as you said these don't seem to be effective. Maybe you'd need a different type or brand.

I don't think the CPAP actually concentrates the smoke, but it's going to seem like it because of the mask funnelling the air to your nose or nose and mouth on a full face mask.

How it's done I really am not sure, but I think the goal is to remove the smoky air and replace it with fresh air along with effective circulation and filtration.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello

This is a legal issue and one for your landlord so don't just accept it and spend money on products you shouldn't need.

I suppose it's OK for people to smoke in their apartment if that smoke is contained - maybe it's not. Obviously it's not contained and your landlord is probably violating your rights. The first thing I would do is look at your lease and see what the smoking requirements are. If yours is a no smoking apartment then you can almost guarantee that the other one is the same and your rights are being violated.

The fact that you have a major respiratory health issue is a big fact in your favour. From the sound of it, your health has been affected through no fault of your own and this is a legal issue. So the first thing to do is go to your doctor and get documentation that this is affecting your respiratory health.

Finally, find an 'ambulance chasing' law firm and ask how you can sue. They thrive on this sort of stuff and are usually no result/no fee. The bottom line for you would be enough money to comfortably move and if I was in your situation I would not be staying there. Your landlord obviously has a property that is not correctly maintained and he does not care about your situation at all.

A thought, what's the chance of Covid19 coming through that ventilation system.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hotels use some kind of an ozone machine to desmoke a room. They are limited by how long it runs for safety.

How do I know. I suspect I am far more sensitive to cigarette smoke than you are, don't know about the MJ and don't intend to find out.
Legally look at what Holden suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would rather see your rights to a smoke-free home protected by your landlord. Here is a link to the Kansas Indoor Clean Air Act http://www.kssmokefree.org/FAQ.html It appears smoking is prohibited in lobbies, hallways and other common areas in apartment buildings and other multiple-residential facilities. This seems to not apply to actual living units, however your common shared ventilation may create an exception. i would suggest researching any local municipal regulations where you live, or calling your local law enforcement to ask any questions on what you can do legally. The state law appears pretty weak.

You can buy activated charcoal air filters and cut them to size to fit in or over your air vents and even your CPAP air intake. Search for the Bionare Charcoal Air Filter, and you will find cut-to-fit filters at a reasonable price. Activated charcoal will remove odors and some particulate from circulating air reasonably effectively. The SoClean unit may reduce smoke odor residual in the machine. Be aware the ozone generator does not replace normal require hygiene for masks and tubes.

If you develop fever or any other indications of infection, you should see a doctor or be tested for the virus.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried using an in-line bacterial filter? That would filter out more of the smoke particles than a standard or even hypoallergenic filter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a good, hard, long look at your lease. See if it mentions anything about smoking. If your landlord can't do anything about the smoking, chances are, it's not forbidden in the lease. 

That being the case, an attorney won't be any good to you. That leaves using devices in your apartment in an effort to reduce or diminish the odors. 

The only other solution would be to move. I know, that's a real hassle, but I just don't see any other option at this time. If it does boil down to that, obviously, find a place that does not allow smoking. 

Sorry that you have to deal with this. I wish the best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
After seeing holden4th's post and the responses, I tend to agree. I just didn't think of this myself last night. This is an infringement on your own rights to a smoke and odor free abode. Check the lease and Google the question of what you're dealing with. See if there's an attorney nearby.

PS here's a starter search for The Smoker Next Door
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2020, 10:53 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: After seeing holden4th's post and the responses, I tend to agree. I just didn't think of this myself last night. This is an infringement on your own rights to a smoke and odor free abode. Check the lease and Google the question of what you're dealing with. See if there's an attorney nearby.

I hope that he's right and I'm wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hear ya. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, especially if it clears the smoke.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 2 61 5 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 276 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,804 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  [Equipment] Second hand Resmed Airsense 10 autoset. Smileyman 3 778 12-29-2022, 11:17 PM
Last Post: DaveL
Question Cleaning my cpap after exposure to smoke Mykidsandi 20 15,049 07-21-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: ToMiGu33
  Dreamstation GO hand me down opinion pduytengsu 2 583 06-23-2022, 04:30 PM
Last Post: SleepinAZ
  [CPAP] Tobacco smoke filter for CPAP Stuartbell 3 1,095 05-09-2022, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Stuartbell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.