Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sefam S.Box issues
RE: Sefam S.Box issues
Hi,
I'm a Respiratory Technician and also OSAS patient, so I have my own sleep apnea machine.
I've been with the S Box for one month now, after years with other machines,(Resmed Airsense S10 Autoset just before move to the S Box).
I have the professional software so I can try to upload it to the forum or any other way to make it available - Sefam Dreamstar Analyse.
Now, about your questions... It does drop pressure down (talking about Apap mode!) IF your airway is stable - the algorithm reads the way your airway responds to pressure applied, and if unstable, it may not drop down as fast or as much as expected, so as a technician I consider that your equipment is doing what it is designed to, don't worry too much if it doesn't drop pressure down as desirable or announced... Other important thing, leak must be under control for the pressure efficiently drop down if airway is stable.. If there's leakage, the machine will compensate the amount of air lost non-intentionally - That's what happens when your mask isn't fixed/tied properly or the model isn't appropriate for you (ex: you have a nasal type mask and you breath with mouth open).
The machine reads the intentional leakage of the mask breath holes and compensate it with pressure rise, and it is considered normal up to 20 Lpm, but keep it under 10 Lpm for you confort if possible.
The last important thing about your IAH - the index of non-solved sleep apnea per hour... It's very good if your IAH index ir five or under and, if not (and your leakage is fine and under control) maybe your settings or treatment are not properly prescribed and that's way more complicated to solve, it might be discussed with your prescriber about your sleep test results... I've made my own sleep test at home with Embletta Cardio-Respiratory Sleep test and, and my APAP settings are 20-10 with no ramp ou ape (cc+) off, so I have IAH 0,3 with a very controlled leakage from my pillow mask - Resmed P10.

I hope I've helped you with this thoughts and I'll stay available for any other questions if needed.
Have a nice day ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I still find that my S.Box tends to wake me with a particularly strong ‘gust’ of air around 5-6am. But I’ve learnt to live with it. Either pressing the other button to reduce it down. Or removing it for a last hour of sleep! 

A new full face mask has really helped me too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the S.Box until just earlier this week but decided to move over to a machine from which I could get more data and customise to my therapy needs. A couple of things I found with the Sefam which may be of help:
  • I monitor my desaturations with an oximeter overnight and found that if the Ramp feature was enabled I'd often get events early in the night. I chalked this up to falling asleep quickly and ramp taking too long to get up to pressure. I ended up disabling it which resulted in fewer early night desaturations.
  • Sefam's APAP algorithm has a tendency to increase pressure when a mask leak occurs and I found this would just make the leak worse until I woke up with the mask levitating above my face. I found that not only does the mask fitment matter, but also the type of mask based on the way you sleep. Ie. If you roll onto your side and push the mask to the side, creating a leak, or if your jaw goes slack in deep sleep creating a leak at the bottom of the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel the same as you. Their App is Stupid and Basic.
I have the exact same thing Leaks
I will returning my Machine for a refund
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a look in the private files for some information re PC sofware that does work with the S.Box   !!!     Big Grin
 “Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.”   - DH  Lawrence

oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2022, 12:02 AM)Danmason Wrote: I’ve been using a SEFAM S.box for a few months. Generally getting on ok. (except I have absolutely no idea how to read the data on the app!)

I’m finding that the s.box seems to jump into overdrive and wake me up a few times a night. It may just be cleverly calculating the air pressure needed (to keep me alive!) but it seems wrong to me. The workaround is to turn it off and on.

Anyone else experienced this?

Yes, I had just the same problem.   I believe it might be because of mask leaks while you are asleep - or someone said I may have a problem with sleeping position. ie head nodding forward and  blocking my airway and causing apnoea's   .. I've tried a cervical collar to stop this happening, but with no change... 

My S.Box was set to min 4 max 20 by the hospital, and it felt like the mask was being blown right off my face - I was woken a number of times too.   The AHI figure still stayed low - but I found out how to get into the clinical menu, and set my pressures to 6.5 min and 10 max.  This initially worked a treat - my AHI was as low as 1.9 and I slept much better.  However, there are still some nights when it just goes to the maximum set (10)  which is enough to cause a mask leak and wake me.

I might also mention - despite leaving the pressures at 6 and 10 - which seemed to work so well  and give the best results - I have had two nights in a row where my AHI has got as high  as 12 or 14 - despite my sleeping well and feeling refreshed  (My blood oxygen levels  were mostly aabove 90% still  - so its all a bit confusing!    )

My biggest fear is that they saay my apnoea is not under control- with the result I lose my driving licence   (I'm told this rarely happens - but is still a major worry)
 “Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.”   - DH  Lawrence

oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
I think generally, DVLA (assuming you’re in the UK) don’t take away licences if it’s evident it’s being treated. I notified them and it was fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2023, 02:14 PM)Danmason Wrote: I think generally, DVLA (assuming you’re in the UK) don’t take away licences if it’s evident it’s being treated. I notified them and it was fine.

yes - my logic tells me it should be no problem. 
 But, in the back of my head, it's the thought of being driven around by my wife that has me frightened...   Shock

PS  If a man is alone in the forest, with no woman to hear him - is he still wrong?

oldman
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 49 Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 192 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 529 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 231 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 138 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 135 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.