Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Self confessed CPAP hater trying CPAP again. How do you clean your CPAP?
RE: Self confessed CPAP hater trying CPAP again. How do you clean your CPAP?
FWIW, I have been using Dawn on my xPAP gear for 3+years. I wash my F30 cushion daily, with Dawn, and have been using the same cushion for ~12 months now. No issues whatsoever. I tried J&J baby shampoo once and it had a strong, offensive, perfumed odor that lasted for a couple of days. Never again.
I also clean my ClimateLine hose with Dawn regularly. Same with the humidifier chamber (original, 3+years old).
Occasionally everything gets cleaned with Dawn then disinfected with Control III sanitizer.

If you carefully check the label on a bottle of Dawn it says "Dish Liquid". This may be creative advertising, but it is gentle enough to for consumers to use regularly to wash dishes. The harsher detergents (as listed in that article) are laundry detergents and dishwasher detergents.

And many face/hand soaps, while they may be even gentler, also typically have some ingredient to break down the oils from your skin. As well as moisturizers/skin softeners/etc. These additional ingredients may affect the ability to get a good mask seal. You will typically get the best mask seal when your face is clean, dry, and free from moisturizers.

I'm not advocating a particular brand of soap/cleaner here, it just happens to be what we have in our home and use regularly.

Use what works best for you and is readily available in your area.....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 15 261 18 minutes ago
Last Post: iamJB
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 391 19 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 8 122 53 minutes ago
Last Post: DKane
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 2 67 9 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 70 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,350 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.