Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Self-treatment CPAP, need advice for first night!
Self-treatment CPAP, need advice for first night!
Hello everyone. I'll just be upfront and say that I don't have a diagnosis for sleep apnea and I ordered this unit with a full-face f30i mask (I'm a mouth breather) as a rental unit to see if it can help me. I've had doctors mention I might have sleep apnea and I've had two sleep studies done, however both times I failed to fall asleep. My main symptoms are always tired, napping throughout the day and general symptoms of poor quality sleep. I use an app called Snorelab to record myself and every night it's a consistent loud recording, with heavy breathing/snoring and a very high rating for snoring. So I figured why not try this machine out and see if that's the issue.

Anyway to cut to the chase - I got the machine and it didn't come with an instruction book. I managed to do a mask test and can maintain it at 'good'. I did feel a bit of a headrush after a few minutes of using it. I'm curious what setting I need to put, e.g., what pressure setting for someone doing a self-experiment basically. Can't really find much on the internet besides that I should set it to 6-20. I have an SD card, will I need to plug that in to get data? Looking to get any advice so I don't starve myself of oxygen or something!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Self-treatment CPAP, need advice for first night!
The first thing to do is download OSCAR at the top of the site - totally free as is everything on site. Put your sd card in the machine and sleep with it in. It will not record data then write it to the card.

Go to Youtube and search for ResMed S10 clinician's menu. It will show you how to get into the menu and set pressures.

I would suggest \
Min 7
Max 15
EPR 3

Then post to this site.

Here is oscar info: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help

This is from the wiki menu at the top of the site, there is a LOT of info you can get by looking through wiki.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
In general read http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ng_therapy

SD card yes.  
get OSCAR. check my signature.

Quote:I'm a mouth breather

Most are MB because the suffer from OSA.  The body is fighting to keep you alive so it uses the biggest intake it can.  If you do have OSA after about 6 weeks or so you might find you spontaneously breathe through your nose.
If you think you have OSA
Go to google and search Snore Score and Berlin Questionnaire.  
Answer and grade both documents. If you have a significant other have them fill them out as well without you helping.  These two sheets will give you a fairly good Idea if you have sleep apnea.
You might see. if you can find a Home sleep test here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...home+sleep
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the response guys! My first night using it I don't think was too successful. I think I woke up a few times because it felt so weird to be on it, not just the mask but how I felt in general was a bit strange. I also had an insanely dry mouth and upping the humidifier didn't help.

Here's some typical sleep sounds my snorelab picks up: 
https://vocaroo.com/14sBRlAQ9ycJ

My first report on the Resmed shows:

2 hours use time
AHI 10
Central AI 3.3
Events Per Hour 8.4
Pressure 9.7
Leak 5L/min

Here is an OSCAR report:
https://imgur.com/EvvYf5d

And the graph section:

https://imgur.com/iq4Mu48

Appreciate any feedback!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your links are producing 404 errors. Please PM me with the actual links and I will try to correct your post.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your first night was successful. You learned a lot

AHI of 5 or higher means you have sleep apnea.

You wore the mask for 2 hours now you can set a goal for 4 hours the 6 hours..

You found out it’s a marathon not a sprint. You most likely had Sleep apnea for years. So one night won’t really fix it. You have to commit your mind to succeed. In Aussie. You tell your mind Your not here to F spiders mate.

Most people have to have it all dialed in for about 6 to 8 weeks to feel better.

Your doing good keep at it.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2021, 06:47 AM)factor Wrote: Your first night was successful. You learned a lot

AHI of 5 or higher means you have sleep apnea.

You wore the mask for 2 hours now you can set a goal for 4 hours the 6 hours..

You found out it’s a marathon not a sprint.  You most likely had Sleep apnea for years. So one night won’t really fix it. You have to commit your mind to succeed. In Aussie. You tell your mind Your not here to F spiders mate.

Most people have to have it all dialed in for about 6 to 8 weeks to feel better.

Your doing good keep at it.

Hey I appreciate the encouragement. I think I'll keep at it and try to dial things in! I'm not sure why the OSCAR app shows <5 instances while the machine shows otherwise though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I disagree with the above analysis, This does NOT show that you have apnea!  Ok it does show that at the settings that you do have.
you have what may very well be treatment-emergent central apnea.
We have no test that says definitively the OP has Apnea, let's see if the below generates some OA events.

Turn EPR OFF.  (and I love using EPR) to see if it affects your central apnea, it should.
Reduce your min pressure to 4, the min the machine is capable of.  Note: this pressure (4) is too low for treatment.  Not looking at treatment yet.

The goal here is to get as close to a lab test as we can.  The best result we will see is is that no apnea shows up which does not mean that you do not have apnea if none dhows, it only means that the apnea you have is "well treated" at these settings
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2021, 08:53 AM)https://imgur.com/undefinedGideon Wrote: I disagree with the above analysis, This does NOT show that you have apnea!  Ok it does show that at the settings that you do have.
you have what may very well be treatment-emergent central apnea.
We have no test that says definitively the OP has Apnea, let's see if the below generates some OA events.

Turn EPR OFF.  (and I love using EPR) to see if it affects your central apnea, it should.
Reduce your min pressure to 4, the min the machine is capable of.  Note: this pressure (4) is too low for treatment.  Not looking at treatment yet.

The goal here is to get as close to a lab test as we can.  The best result we will see is is that no apnea shows up which does not mean that you do not have apnea if none dhows, it only means that the apnea you have is "well treated" at these settings

I'm not sure why Oscar shows different to the main setting. This is what I can see on the machine (please keep in mind this was very broken sleep before I took it off without realizing):

https://imgur.com/e9AEYs8

Did you have a chance to listen to the sound recording I posted before?
Post Reply Post Reply
It makes a difference as to what types of events you have, and how are they distributed. The types of events in the previous chart indicate that you may have the wrong type of machine to treat your apnea, though I obviously don't have enough info to conclude that since you haven't taken a sleep test or posted results from the settings I suggested.

No I haven't listened to the recording, no sound on this system.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.