Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Severe Sleep Apnea New User
RE: Severe Sleep Apnea New User
Wow I'd totally go for a trach if i ever had it offered. No kidding!
But it won't solve your Centrals though, you'd have to get a diaphragm pacemaker on top of the trach.

I had a different problem, I'd have my throat muscles collapse and I'd stop breathing 2 minutes at a time, so while my ahi wasnt really high, my desat% was to the point of me going blue on my face. When they woke me up they had a trach tube in one hand and a scalpel in the other, but I was lucid and confused to what's going on. They were surprised I was conscious.

Get ASV from Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do I post my results? Its limiting my file size
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2019, 04:13 PM)JustinJ Wrote: How do I post my results? Its limiting my file size

Not knowing what you have at your disposal, the first free image processing program that comes to mind is GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program.  This is one powerful image processing program. It allows you to save an image back at either enhanced or, in your case, reduced size.  It allows the editing/manipulation of most image formats.  GIMP can run on most standard computer platform systems.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2019, 03:03 PM)crowtor Wrote: Wow I'd totally go for a trach if i ever had it offered. No kidding!
But it won't solve your Centrals though, you'd have to get a diaphragm pacemaker on top of the trach.

I had a different problem, I'd have my throat muscles collapse and I'd stop breathing 2 minutes at a time, so while my ahi wasnt really high, my desat% was to the point of me going blue on my face. When they woke me up they had a trach tube in one hand and a scalpel in the other, but I was lucid and confused to what's going on. They were surprised I was conscious.

Get ASV from Resmed.

Crowter, I have worked with many people with tracheostomy, and it's not the fun and games you think.  While trach assures a clear airway, it requires a lot of maintenance.  The tracheostomy tube needs a high degree of hygiene maintenance and  use of a cover when not in use. It can interfere with speech and swallowing.  The lack of the upper airway heating and humidification can lead to frequent infections or irritation.  Most of the people I have known with a trach are stroke patients, and  have many other complications, including aspiration.  Wishing for a tracheotomy as a long-term solution seems nothing short of masochistic to me.  It is a very effective treatment of last resort, but glad you were able to avoid it.

Yes, ASV is non-invasive and very effective.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2019, 06:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 03:03 PM)crowtor Wrote: Wow I'd totally go for a trach if i ever had it offered. No kidding!

Get ASV from Resmed.

Crowter, I have worked with many people with tracheostomy, and it's not the fun and games you think.  While trach assures a clear airway, it requires a lot of maintenance.  The tracheostomy tube needs a high degree of hygiene maintenance and  use of a cover when not in use. It can interfere with speech and swallowing.  The lack of the upper airway heating and humidification can lead to frequent infections or irritation.  Most of the people I have known with a trach are stroke patients, and  have many other complications, including aspiration.  Wishing for a tracheotomy as a long-term solution seems nothing short of masochistic to me.  It is a very effective treatment of last resort, but glad you were able to avoid it.

My wife had a Trach for over a year due to a severe airway restriction (granuloma in the vicinity of the left vocal cord)  Taking a bath was out, swimming was out, riding on a boat that required a life preserver was out.  She "talked" in a low whisper then.  Not fun, but it was life saving.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2019, 06:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:

Get ASV from Resmed.

That's true, tube maintenance is a nightmare. I was thinking more of the tube-less trach, where you only have a hole in your trachea, which you can cover during the day. I've seen many people not just walking around with them but also smoking through them!

I'd get it because I suffer from laryngospasms, not even 25 from VAuto can blast through them, and it's not fun having a few, minute long, clusters during the night which you can do nothing about. My biggest issue are the infections that you mentioned, I got a weak immune system.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 218 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 348 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.