Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Short tube extension increasing my AHI
Short tube extension increasing my AHI
I recently purchased a 18 inch short tube to connect to my climate tubing.  I was finding that as I was moving around at night there were times that I would tug on the hose and then break the seal.  This small extension has helped but just one problem.  I have noticed my ahi is higher than what it normally is.  Also noticing that my pressure seems to be at the max pressure for a significant time .  I was told when I purchased this item that it should not restrict the pressure and no changes in my pressure should be needed.  
Anyone have experience with this problem?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Short tube extension increasing my AHI
Dunno, such a short hose doesn't seem like it would result in a significant pressure drop, but you'd need a pressure tester at the mask end to really be sure.

Have you tried using overhead hose management? Such as a hook on the wall, headboard, or stand with an arm? For a lot of people using overhead hose management helps keep the hose from tugging at the mask and causing problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
How much higher and how much variation to you see and for how many nights? More information would be helpful. As you probably know, some variation is normal.  Some masks, such as the AmaraView, come with a short tube. I used it for a while and noticed no significant change in AHI. I assume the diameter of the extension tube is the same as the tube from your machine. A significant difference in diameter, could, perhaps, have some effect.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses.  Diameter of short hose same as climate hose 15 mm.  Will give it a few more days and will report back with the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hose hangers rule!!  Thumbs-up-2

It took me about three months before I came to that realization. Difference in hose management is like night and day.  like
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks big guy will consider it.
Post Reply Post Reply
This suggests to me that you may have a leak, either at the juncture, or in one of the hoses.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
I would agree that considering some kind of hose support may be worth a try.

When I was trying all kinds of apparatus from nasal pillows and masks, I found the problem of the hose getting hung up and dislodging the mask to be quite annoying.  I saw that there were retail hose supports available but I'm too cheap to buy something I could readily make myself.
[attachment=10930]

I made mine out of PVC pipe and the only tricky part was boring out the T connector so that the grey pipe could go through it and allow it to freely rotate.  That way as I rolled from one side to the other, the arm would rotate toward that side thereby reducing any increased tension on the hose.
[attachment=10931]
[attachment=10932]

I used some red velcro ties that allows me to reattach the tube at various lengths.  It's also important to have the tube velcro'd at the stand to insure there is enough slack to permit the arm to rotate.  Otherwise the tube will tend to pull toward your CPAP machine and the tension will tend to pull the arm to the opposite side and restrict the range of motion.

BTW, after starting to use the AirFit P10, I found the problem of it dislodging was significantly reduced.  When I go to my RV (about 100 days/summer) I don't use the hose support.  I just snake the hose up and around my head so there is not much that can get caught on bedding and the short free length can track me well enough when I turn from side to side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not so sure I'd like a hose hanger / holder that is placed between the mattresses. Just don't see it as being all that secure. 

I fabricated one that attaches to the top of our bed's headboard. It's rock-solid and can swivel back & forth as needed. It's also out of my way, so that when I have to get up during the night to go the the restroom, I don't bump into it. 

Can't imagine being without it.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2019, 05:09 PM)mdmarmd Wrote: I would agree that considering some kind of hose support may be worth a try.

When I was trying all kinds of apparatus from nasal pillows and masks, I found the problem of the hose getting hung up and dislodging the mask to be quite annoying.  I saw that there were retail hose supports available but I'm too cheap to buy something I could readily make myself.

Home brew seems fine for, well, home. For traveling the Arden Innovations folding hose hanger works just fine. It is quite tall, so it works even with a thick mattress stacked with the pile of pillows I need for an incline, yet it folds to a ridiculously small size. At 24 bucks it's one of the best investments I've made.

I've read some people duct tape some hook or velcro tie or what not to the wall or headboard while traveling, but I think that is a very rude way to care for a nice hotel room and mean to the guests who come after you. Some others use removable command hooks, which seems like a much more acceptable choice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 268 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 471 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 471 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.