Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I adjust my Dreamstation pressure?
Should I adjust my Dreamstation pressure?
Hi guys

So my CPAP setting is 5.5 and 11. I have a Respironics Dreamstation APAP. 

I'm still feeling sleepy after using the machine, I'm not sure why. I noticed lately the machine feels like it's been sticking to lower pressures, it used to go up to 9 and 10 pretty often and now it sorta stays around 5.5  and 6.5. 

I'm not sure if I need my lower pressure to be higher or if I should actually decrease the upper pressure. I have screenshots here: 
http://imgur.com/a/Zd3Th 

Any help is appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I adjust my Dreamstation pressure?
Your numbers are good all AHI under 2. The real question is how do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Javila. I agree with bonjour, your apnea numbers are great. I don't really see a need to fiddle with the settings. Also, if your feeling tired, I don't think i'd attribute that feeling to sleep apnea as your download shows that's under control. Could be other issues? A good question for your Dr. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Javila, welcome to Apnea Board.

How long have you been on therapy with the machine? It can take a few months for some people to get used to treatment and feel rested.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
javilla,
Since you are using a Phillips Respironics machine, which is slower to react to events compared to ResMed machines, I  would move the minimum pressure to 7.  

Although your AHI is below 5 and considered treated, you have high Flow Limitations, RERA's and hypopneas which the machine is slow to react to.  Moving the min pressure up a bit will help.

We aren't here to chase AHI's and change pressure for no reason, but I think that the small
increase in pressure should make a difference.

And as others have said, how you feel is more important.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the great advice guys. I'm still feeling a bit sleepy at work sometimes so I will try moving the pressure up a bit.

I've been using the machine for about 2 months now. However, I changed the pressure setting to 5.5 and 11 about 2 weeks ago. 

I'll try it out and post here what results I get.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had numbers similar to you and with insight gleaned from the board slowly raised the minimum about 1.5 cm over two months. Reduced my AHI to .4 and I am sleeping noticeably better now. Thank you, everyone, for the wealth of knowledge shared here.

Good luck,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Your AHI numbers are good..... could it be that you need to be getting 7.5 to 8.0 hours of sleep on a consistent basis to feel rested?

I know if I get less than 7.5 hours for more than a couple of nights in a row I start to feel tired during the day.

My AHI average for the last 6 months is 1.4, so I know my apnea is well controlled by my Dreamstation.. I have it set as a CPAP, even though it is an APAP unit, my pressure is set at 8. [some time back I upped the pressure from 7 in an effort to overcome my feeling of "air starvation" that I experienced for the first 5 minutes after start up, it actually also helped with my blocked nose I often get at night]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 290 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,293 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,629 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR? theredheadsaid 65 7,067 09-09-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] Adjust time on Airsense 11 Liveoak86 2 601 08-19-2023, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Liveoak86
Sad Please review my data and help me adjust my settings DC2Shogun 61 4,378 08-13-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.