Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I be dead?
Should I be dead?
I guess what I'm really asking is... Did my pulse oximeter have a bad reading? My Spo2 was in the range of 85 - 72 for 50 min, with the majority of that time below 80. I woke up with a headache. I don't see any reason for it to have dropped so low. Flow limits were good, and breathing was normal, with almost no apneas. It looked like I had an amazing night of breathing except for the low oxygen levels. Should I be concerned. 

I've only been using Oscar for a few days, but from past experience 92 is a normal Spo2 level for me. I've been an avid cyclist for 15 years, I don't know if this is why my baseline is so low?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I be dead?
I would suspect the sensor probe on the oximeter. What brand are you using?
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
contec cms50f
Post Reply Post Reply
It happened again last night for maybe 15 min.

Post Reply Post Reply
You changed the EPR settings between these two nights. As a result your machine with EPR 1 last night was more responsive to obstructive events and you had fewer of them, but your flow limits increased a bit. I think to get some consistency in your results and a better oxygenation, we really need to get your minimum exhale pressure out of the cellar (4.0 cm) and increase your minimum pressure. For starters, I'm going to suggest a minimum pressure of 7.0 and EPR at 2. The deep SpO2 desats look like a connection issue due to the very steep decline and recover back to the "normal" levels.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, I found that I am most comfortable between 9-13, but I put the settings back to what was on my prescription a few days before I had an appointment with my Dr. A general practice Dr.  I didn't know how he'd feel about me messing with the setting. This was all before I installed OSCAR or had an oximeter so it's hard to say how I responded to the higher pressure. I thought I'd give it a week at my prescribed levels before changing anything so that I had a baseline in OSCAR. I'm going to ramp up my pressure a bit and check back in on the data. 

The oximeter levels have me worried. I don't feel like the finger cuff is slipping in the night, but who knows what happens as I toss and turn. Is it normal for it to keep reading and just be low rather than drop off altogether when it's not fitted perfectly?
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem is that with EPR, your pressure must be higher than 4.0 + EPR setting or the machine cannot respond to obstruction. Put your settings where you feel best and tell your doctor "this is what works for me". That is the way it is done. Your doctor set a default range in the absence of a titration test, and it was always up to you to optimize. No need to ask for permission or forgiveness. Use what works.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
At what point should I be concerned with low oxygen?
Last night I had two drops that stayed below 90 for a prolonged period. To me it does not look like a finger slip, as they correspond well to 1. a series of repeated 20 sec apneas and 2. a 33 second apnea. The desats slowly returned to normal which also makes me think it was not just a finger slip. 

Yes my Spo2 levels at rest are low, If I put the sensor on other people it will measure higher, or if I'm not at rest it will also measure higher. I think a 92 baseline is just normal for me at rest.

Post Reply Post Reply
A person with SPO2 during sleep that cumulatively falls below 88% for 5 minutes total time or greater, qualifies for supplemental oxygen according to Medicare.  

From all the research I have done, around 95 or 96 average during sleep seems to be around the normal level.  I have read where drops into the low 90's; a person should keep an eye on these.  Drops below 90 seem to be when they recommending doing more:  reporting this to care providers, etc.  

This looks like a tough call since you are on the border here.  A big question to ask would be:  how do I feel when I wake up in the morning after sleep?  If it gets worse, then maybe more action needs to be taken IMO.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
From a guy with some oxygen level issues when awake or sleep due to Emphysema COPD and heart PVCs...

Some perspective info questions

1. Do you have any oxygen dips during the day and night or just night?

2. Any underlying cause you're aware of, producing number 1?

3. Any testing for this at all? 6 min walk test, etc.

Maybe a data overload at least for yourself is necessary. Like measure O2 in the day and night at times, or something similar as applicable.

Context from me, my same model Contec oximeter would have heart rate jump up while resting in recliner with corresponding drop in O2, like heart rate 100, O2 89%. FWIW I can feel when my O2 levels are 92% or less, accurate call on being low when in docs office or ER, getting O2 checked.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad F&P ICON auto is dead Letsgomom 19 14,851 01-09-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: capman911
  Lots of sleep but still dead tired Markus11 23 2,323 11-11-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Markus11
  Is this Dreamstation 2 humidifer dead? Lucky7 2 526 09-11-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  Using cpap but waking up dead tired Eatapeach 12 1,572 06-08-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Dead Dreamstation 2 Ponydriver 1 580 06-02-2023, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  ResMed Airsense 10 Dead Rblum100 6 1,636 01-01-2022, 10:51 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Feel like the Walking Dead! hookedonstitch 10 1,461 09-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: hookedonstitch

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.