Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I lower my pressure? Do I still need Cpap ? (after using collar)
Should I lower my pressure? Do I still need Cpap ? (after using collar)
Hi guys,

Since I was told to wear a cervical collar by members of this forum, my pressure/AHI has gone down significantly.

Currently my average pressure is 6.5. Use to be 12. 

Last night I turned down my pressure by .5 and my average pressure for the night was 6. 

Question is...should I lower it more? And....the question of all questions...do I still need a Cpap machine? I've attached my data below. 

Would really like to hear your insight. Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I lower my pressure? Do I still need Cpap ? (after using collar)
You had 18 event (not counting centrals) and pressure of 12. Yes you need pap therapy
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the night before yesterday. AHI usually stays between 1.7 - 4. 

But minimum pressure is where the machine seems to stay majority of the night. So would decreasing my pressure a little more be helpful? I just feel super tired when I wake up. Want to make sure my settings are optimal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your results with CPAP are good, but your obstructive sleep apnea is quite visible in your results. It would help if you minimized the daily calendar (click the triangle in the date line or use the view menu). That will allow more of the important statistics to show. I think it's great that your collar has been successful, and I hope you will review it in the review section.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
4 is the lowest any cpap machine goes.  You have cut off much of the information by leaving the calendar on. (you can turn it off by clicking on the triangle next to the date).  But looking at the chart it looks like you are using flex also.  With that you are already decreasing the exhale pressure by whatever the flex is set to.  So you are at 6.5 - flex.  That is not enough air for a normal adult.  Instead of decreasing the pressure I would raise the min to a point where the flex takes it down to 4 or 5 at the least.

Your main events are Hypopnea (H) and the only way to help with a dreamstation is to increase pressures not decrease them.

I'm sure someone else will post about this but you are going in the wrong direction in my opinion.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Is this better? I do have flex setting on. Assumed it would make my sleep more comfortable.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's great the collar helped, but you'll still need PAP therapy. These 2 things work together. As was mentioned, your plan to decrease pressure settings is going to allow more events passed the machine, and therefore isn't a good idea.

OK now that OSCAR reveals the pressure stats, I'm seeing 7.4 in the 95% EPAP slot. That's probably going to be the lowest you'll need to be treated IMO.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really think you should consider increasing minimum pressure to 8.0. I think you will find it more comfortable and restful. That is approximately your 90% pressure and that is going to reduce the remaining flow limits, RERA, Hypopnea and all those snores. We often suggest people turn off the VS2 events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply. 

Do you think I should adjust the flex setting? If bring the minimum pressure to 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leave the Flex set to 1 or 2. Regardless of which setting you use, Flex will not give you more than 2cm drop in pressure as it is based on flow.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 220 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 236 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 277 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.