Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I prioritize a lower AHI or reducing flow limits?
Should I prioritize a lower AHI or reducing flow limits?
After >1 year on CPAP I'm generally doing well with treatment, but I have what I'm pretty certain are persistent treatment emergent CA's. My prescribed settings are APAP 7-11cm w/ EPR of 3. I typically average an AHI of around 3.0 - 3.5, but every couple weeks I will have 1 or 2 nights where my AHI is 5-10. Nearly all of my AHI every night is CA's.

Earlier this week, I switched to CPAP mode at a fixed 9cm, and I turned EPR off. Like magic, the CA's largely disappeared and I had 3 nights in a row with an AHI between 0.4 - 0.7. However, with fixed pressure and no EPR, my flow limits are higher (95% averaging 0.11 per night, vs a 95% average of 0.5 per night on my old APAP settings). Additionally, my leak rate is up with EPR turned off (95% leaks > 30 with EPR off, averaging 8.4 with my old APAP settings). I can also see a couple periods of tell-tale mouth leaking on my chart each night, and I've woken myself up mouth leaking a couple times, so I'm pretty sure this is what's going on with regards to the leak rate.

In summary, the APAP mode seems to do a better job managing my flow limits, and the reduced effort required to exhale with EPR on 3 reduces my mouth leaks, but switching to CPAP mode and turning off EPR eliminates my CA's and reduces AHI from ~3.25 to 0.5.

I'm considering running CPAP mode tonight, with a slightly higher pressure of 9.4cm (in hopes of better managing flow limits), and turning on EPR of 1 for the full night, to (hopefully) reduce mouth leaking.

Do this sound like a decent plan?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I prioritize a lower AHI or reducing flow limits?
Bsd plan, but only because you are changing multiple parameters at a time.

Keep in mind the goal is not 0 AHI or the elimination of CA event. It's to get a good sound night's sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I prioritize a lower AHI or reducing flow limits?
That's fair Gideon. And you're of course correct regarding the most important goal being the subjective measure of a good night's sleep.

I'm pretty much there on the whole. I doubt  Id be changing anything if I didn't have those occasional excursions into the 6-10 AHI range -- if I can make a few tweaks and eliminate the bulk of my CA without otherwise impacting my treatment or the quality of my sleep, I figure that's worth it.

I'm writing this after just waking up using the new settings from my first post (CPAP @ 9.4, EPR 1) 

My AHI was 1.1, flow limits 0.10, leak rate 14. Having just a little EPR def seemed to help from a comfort standpoint. I didn't wake up myself from exhaling out my mouth, which is an improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Reducing "chipmunk cheeks"? bjackson 1 37 3 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 5 167 8 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Low AHI vs. low Flow Limitation apneakid 13 953 Yesterday, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 94 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 17 835 04-19-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 107 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 446 04-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: earnerd

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.