Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I prioritize a lower AHI or reducing flow limits?
Should I prioritize a lower AHI or reducing flow limits?
After >1 year on CPAP I'm generally doing well with treatment, but I have what I'm pretty certain are persistent treatment emergent CA's. My prescribed settings are APAP 7-11cm w/ EPR of 3. I typically average an AHI of around 3.0 - 3.5, but every couple weeks I will have 1 or 2 nights where my AHI is 5-10. Nearly all of my AHI every night is CA's.

Earlier this week, I switched to CPAP mode at a fixed 9cm, and I turned EPR off. Like magic, the CA's largely disappeared and I had 3 nights in a row with an AHI between 0.4 - 0.7. However, with fixed pressure and no EPR, my flow limits are higher (95% averaging 0.11 per night, vs a 95% average of 0.5 per night on my old APAP settings). Additionally, my leak rate is up with EPR turned off (95% leaks > 30 with EPR off, averaging 8.4 with my old APAP settings). I can also see a couple periods of tell-tale mouth leaking on my chart each night, and I've woken myself up mouth leaking a couple times, so I'm pretty sure this is what's going on with regards to the leak rate.

In summary, the APAP mode seems to do a better job managing my flow limits, and the reduced effort required to exhale with EPR on 3 reduces my mouth leaks, but switching to CPAP mode and turning off EPR eliminates my CA's and reduces AHI from ~3.25 to 0.5.

I'm considering running CPAP mode tonight, with a slightly higher pressure of 9.4cm (in hopes of better managing flow limits), and turning on EPR of 1 for the full night, to (hopefully) reduce mouth leaking.

Do this sound like a decent plan?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I prioritize a lower AHI or reducing flow limits?
Bsd plan, but only because you are changing multiple parameters at a time.

Keep in mind the goal is not 0 AHI or the elimination of CA event. It's to get a good sound night's sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I prioritize a lower AHI or reducing flow limits?
That's fair Gideon. And you're of course correct regarding the most important goal being the subjective measure of a good night's sleep.

I'm pretty much there on the whole. I doubt  Id be changing anything if I didn't have those occasional excursions into the 6-10 AHI range -- if I can make a few tweaks and eliminate the bulk of my CA without otherwise impacting my treatment or the quality of my sleep, I figure that's worth it.

I'm writing this after just waking up using the new settings from my first post (CPAP @ 9.4, EPR 1) 

My AHI was 1.1, flow limits 0.10, leak rate 14. Having just a little EPR def seemed to help from a comfort standpoint. I didn't wake up myself from exhaling out my mouth, which is an improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 11 296 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  flow limit of 1 rhishi 2 83 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 118 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  [Treatment] Reducing "chipmunk cheeks"? bjackson 1 83 04-23-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Low AHI vs. low Flow Limitation apneakid 13 984 04-22-2024, 08:04 AM
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 100 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 17 873 04-19-2024, 03:47 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.