Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Side sleeping: arms going numb disturbing quality of sleep
Side sleeping: arms going numb disturbing quality of sleep
Since being on CPAP for about 8+ months I am noticing some better sleep patterns.  However there is one major issue that is interrupting a better night:

I am a side sleeper and as a result I am putting pressure on my arm/ shoulders that causes my arms (on the respective side) to fall asleep (that numbness of which we are all familiar.)  This may have been present before I started CAP but I was never aware of it because the was apnea causing me to toss n' turn which would alleviate any numbness- it may have been there before but I never noticed it.   It seems that the phenomenon comes on very slowly such that I do not notice it until it becomes too unbearable upon which it will wake me.

Now that I am sleeping better (sometimes in the same position on one side all night) I am putting pressure at points that now cause this discomfort which in turn is now waking me up.  I am pretty sure that I could have better nights if there is a way to correct this discomfort.  I have tried to position/ reposition my arms many times during the night-  outstretched, along my torso side, cured up under my head, etc... but nothing seems to work. 

I have tried to sleep on my back.  I can start out this way but invariably I will revert to one side during the night.

Any advice/ comments/ opinions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Side sleeping: arms going numb disturbing quality of sleep
Just throwing this out there....could it be your mattress or needing a new or different type pillow?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a "My Pillow" brand pillow and that helps quite a bit. This type of pillow is one that has strips and shreds of memory foam inside a permanent case. It adjusts very easily to any shape the user forms it to and it keeps that shape relatively well throughout the night. I perhaps could use a new mattress. The one that I use of which I am used to is a relatively firm one. There are so many types out there and I do not know where/ how to shop for a new mattress that will work well down the road.
Post Reply Post Reply
Years ago, I had the same problem. I changed my life style and started exercising more.  This got my cholesterol down and I stopped taking a statin. Almost immediately the problem cleared up. Now, I can actually sleep directly on my arm without that tingling. Not saying the statin was the problem, but, I had many side effects clear up once I stopped the statin. Now I walk 2 miles every day to keep my cholesterol in check.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the My Pillow brand too.  It's the best pillow I've used and I've gone through a lot of pillows over the years.  
Can't advise on mattresses, that's as bad as buying a car.   Smile

I do remember having some arm and shoulder pain at first, but haven't experienced it for awhile.  Now it's hip pain that keeps me tossing and turning. Sad
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you use a body pillow? If not, try one. It will keep your shoulders better aligned as well as help take pressure off the one on the bottom. You can use another head pillow and just wrap your arms around it to see if it helps any but it won't quite be the same. It may be enough for you to know if you should invest in a body pillow.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you been tested for carpal tunnel?  My hands go numb unless I wear a wrist brace on both hands lol.   That with a cpap mask makes quite the sleep setup!  However it works....no joke.   So I do it every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2017, 06:36 PM)speed3914 Wrote: Have you been tested for carpal tunnel?  My hands go numb unless I wear a wrist brace on both hands lol.   That with a cpap mask makes quite the sleep setup!  However it works....no joke.   So I do it every night.

Same exact issue here.  Both my hands go numb due to carpal tunnel.  What kind of a wrist brace do you use?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a bowling brace made by a company called Robby's. I prefer the original leather ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2017, 12:18 PM)speed3914 Wrote: I use a bowling brace made by a company called Robby's. I prefer the original leather ones.

Thank you !!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.