Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Side sleeping / face frame masks
Side sleeping / face frame masks
I've searched to find some input on how to deal with my Dreamwear nasal mask's extra noise - with mixed results. 

Short story is - I'm a side sleeper, and when I put my head on the pillow, it compresses the airway on one side of the mask, causing noise and blow-out form the mask. I saw some info on Polartec wraps for the frame, but can't find anything on what specific item to purchase....what's the best way to deal with that?

I could go back to my Resmed P10, which doesn't have the face frame issue - but the straps are pretty useless - is there a better / more secure head strop for the P10?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Side sleeping / face frame masks
Hey taylorgtr, I also use a Dreamwear nasal mask and sleep on my side. Your problem may be with your pillow. I use a standard size pillow with the foam pieces. You can add or remove the foam pieces until you find the appropriate softness. I find with the foam it does not pinch the frame sides of the mask flat. The foam seems to let the silicone mask retain its shape.

The wraps are for eliminating red marks on face for people that are sensitive to silicone. They won’t help with your problem of flattening the frame of the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'm willing to try a different pillow - do you have a brand/model/link?
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m sorry I don’t remember where I bought mine. It isn’t anything special. The key factor is that I can remove or add the foam. The foam chunks are about 1” square. I probably bought it on Amazon , just not sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
This seems to be the closest match to what you described:

There's also this type with removable layers. 

How did you find the optimal density? Was it just by experimenting?  Did you start with a full pillow and reduce the fill, or a light pillow and increase it?
Post Reply Post Reply
The pic on the top is similar to mine with the pieces. As far as the amount. That’s experimental.

I immediately took out 2 or 3 hand fulls so I could lay pretty flat with a slight raise. Then for a few nights I adjusted a little by removing a little more.

When I sleep at night, I sleep on one end of the pillow, mask hanging off the end a bit.

Also that permits me to then push and stuff the pillow in the front and back of my neck to add some firmness. “ if you can imagine that”. Lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - I get it - I've tried to sleep with my cheek less 'flat' on the pillow so that it doesn't smash the piping...with mixed success. I'll try to see if an adjustable pillow works. 

I may also go back to my P10, if I can make the straps more secure, or get a better strap that doesn't slide around. With that one, I had no issues on my side at all, and I don't mind the hose coming off the front.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also Taylor, this stuff is so individual. I went through 2 or 3 pillows before I found something that would work for me. I even tried one of those cpap pillows with the cut outs, which was a no go.

My method may not work for you, but it’s something to consider.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to go to a smaller pillow for my side-sleeping, full face mask. I got a Mr. Pillow, travel size, and took out fully 1/2 the foam pieces. That works for me--but I realize you have the Dreamwear problem of inflated pieces over your cheek.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too found a thick soft pillow helpful. I got a polyester fiber batting pillow at Walmart, shortened the pillowcase to make it closer to square, and rearranged the batting to the shorter, fatter shape.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 410 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 983 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 522 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.