Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Silent nasal mask recommendations
Silent nasal mask recommendations
I'm curious if anyone had had success finding a truly silent nasal mask, and which one you would recommend.  

Currently I'm using a hybrid full face mask, a ResMed AirFit F30.  The one reason I continue to use the F30 instead of a nasal mask is that the F30 absolutely silent.  I'm a light sleeper and the F30 makes zero exhaust noise. 

That said, I prefer the fit and feel of a nasal mask, but so far I have not been able to find one that doesn't "hiss" from the exhaust port.  I'm really looking for silent if one exists.

So far I've tried:

- ResMed AirFit P10 - some noise, pillows were moderately painful
 - ResMed AirFit N30i - not a fan of the over-the-head style, exhaust was all over the place
 - ResMed AirFit N30 - most exhaust noise of the bunch
 - Fisher & Paykel Evora Nasal - similar exhaust noise to the N30

I'd appreciate input on finding a quiet nasal mask.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Silent nasal mask recommendations
Did you try the P10 with the original non-adjustable headband? or the newer adjustable model.
The P10 is so quiet my wife kept waking me up to make sure I was still breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine was the newer model with the adjustable headband
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2023, 02:00 PM)nearenough Wrote: So far I've tried:

- ResMed AirFit P10 - some noise, pillows were moderately painful

Reading your comment about the pillows, I wonder if you were using the right size.

If the nasal pillow is inserted into the nostrils, then the pillow is too small.  This can cause irritation and pain.  It should rest just under the nostrils.  You may want to try one size up.  Also, try using a nasal gel or similar product to help with any irritation.

When you turn the air pressure on, pull the pillow slightly away from your nose or wiggle it side to side a bit.  It should give a good seal.  

I've never experienced any noise from the P10.

I hope you find what works for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The P30i is a silent as could be -- in case you hear something the mask isn't properly adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
My biggest issue with the P30i was the sound of air rushing down my jaw.  I'm a side sleeper, and with the P30i I can hear the air flowing through the side of the tubing I'm laying on.
Post Reply Post Reply
These days I sleep with artificial noise turned on to drown out any abrupt noise that can wake me up. When I had it off, I could hear the air being pulled through the tubing like you say. If stuff like this bothers you, you can try to mask these sounds with white noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you like the P30i except for the noise the rubber air-feed strap makes with compression, try using a CPAP strap Polartec wrap around it. For me it will prevent any of the 30i family from collapsing and making noise when side sleeping, and has the added advantage of minimizing strap lines. Available from supplier list and Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a P10 for 7+ years.  Very quiet and comfortable.  As someone said, you may have the wrong pillow size.
Post Reply Post Reply
While nothing truly keeps me awake for long the sounds of the head pillow side air hissing has occasionally kept me awake for a minute or two.  It doesn’t happen frequently but when it does the pitch eats my brain. 

I do agree the P30i is the quietest mask I have used (way quieter than the F30i, IMO) when it is set up correctly and seals properly.  Just occasionally the air tubes get loud on the down head side.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 0 8 17 minutes ago
Last Post: joedes
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 10 186 Yesterday, 07:35 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,478 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 990 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,759 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 166 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 661 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.