Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus problems
Sinus problems
I have fallen away from CPAP because of serious sinus drainage problems. Even with a couple hour's use, my sinuses start to flow watery discharge in large volume. Goes into my chest, throat, etc. Cannot sleep, and the problem lasts for days, and I'm miserable. Nasal irrigation does not help. Bottom line -- simply can't use the system. Anyone else had this problem and have a solution? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus problems
Sorry you're having trouble with your therapy. What humidity level are you using? Have you tried either a nasal mask or ffm instead of pillows? How long have you been on cpap?
Post Reply Post Reply
"Bottom line -- simply can't use the system" isn't really a good solution. Drop the humidity some, or as True suggests, go to a full face mask. Whatever is required to gain comfortable, ongoing sleep apnea therapy is where you need to be. Don't ever allow yourself to embrace the decision that you cannot use the system. We do not "use" the system, we "embrace" it as something that can and will improve our quality of life, and most or very often, the length of our life.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2015, 11:46 AM)tkmphoenix Wrote: I have fallen away from CPAP because of serious sinus drainage problems. Even with a couple hour's use, my sinuses start to flow watery discharge in large volume. Goes into my chest, throat, etc. Cannot sleep, and the problem lasts for days, and I'm miserable. Nasal irrigation does not help. Bottom line -- simply can't use the system. Anyone else had this problem and have a solution? Thanks.

Hi tkmphoenix,
Have you seen an ENT doctor for the sinus issue? He or she may be able to give you something to relieve that problem. I had a lot of drainage problems when I started CPAP. I would either be stuffed up, not able to breath, or the opposite, but worked through it with help from my Doc. I have always been able to use nasal pillows even with sinus issues. I also keep a full face mask on hand just in case I can't use the nasal pillows. The bottom line is this...don't give up on CPAP. It is too easy to find reasons not to use it, and it does take time to adapt.
OpalRose
Bed
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My thanks to all of you. I just returned from visit to sleep lab. Their theory is that I need to maximize moisture setting and also to put heated water in the reservoir prior to turning the machine on. They think the drainage is due to dryness and an over-reaction from my sinuses rather than too much moisture -- just the opposite of what I was thinking. I'll try it out and let everyone know after a week or two. Hoping to set up visit with ENT soon also.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a plan! Good luck with your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tkmphoenix,
It's good to hear that you are trying another plan to resume your CPAP therapy.
Much success to you and don't give up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome,
Please keep us posted on your results, post back on this thread , your input my be helpful to others.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,000 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 167 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,837 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 342 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,562 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.