Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinusitis and Cpap Use
RE: Sinusitis and Cpap Use
I would consult an Allergist to rule out any allergies. They will do a test to find out what you are allergic to, and recommend mitigations.

Nasal congestion is nothing minor. The inflammation will narrow your nasal passageway, and this will be a big issue while sleeping in bed. They will likely recommend neti pot, nasal spray, etc.. Cleaning carpet, bed sheets etc.. in response to dust mites.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I draw from illnesses and experiences with doctors, is that the human body is very complex, and many doctors, try as they will, simply do not know the answers. Therefore it's up to us, the 'owners' of the illness, to try our best to figure out what it is that helps us or makes our condition worse, and take careful notes so that the next time we have this condition, we can look back at our notes and maybe, with some luck, overcome the illness a little faster or be a little more comfortable while enduring the illness.
Post Reply Post Reply
@jimk - You do make a good point, doctors are human after all, but I think more can be gained by being a strong advocate for yourself, trying to find your own answers, and at the same time enlisting the help of a smart and experienced doctor than trying to always go alone.
Not all doctors are good at their job.  It's valuable to have a good one in your corner when you need it. 
I've had good and bad docs in my life...  the good ones are able to use the insights you provide by taking good notes and paying attention to your body to suggest treatment that improves your health. They also provide the access to labs, scans, meds, etc.

The bad ones... well, they specialize in sleep medicine and push cpaps. (Sorta kidding)

Sinus infection presents quite differently from allergies.
Sinus infection almost always includes lingering (ie weeks) thick dark yellow or green nasal discharge and significant pressure/pain.
If that is present, even after a round of antibiotics, you could ask a doc to culture it. Takes a couple days but then you know if it's bacterial and how to kill it.

Allergies can include pain/pressure in the sinuses but the nasal discharge is usually clear. Allergies can also include itchy eyes.

Allergies can hit suddenly in a person who's never had allergies before, our body chemistry changes throughout our lives.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your help. ...Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Heck, I used my pap machine through covid with no problem, and a diagnosed sinus infection, also with no problem. Don't be afraid of your pap machine.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  experience with sinusitis? mattm1 7 1,811 03-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Connection of OSA to Rhinitis, and Sinusitis ac555 34 7,479 10-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
Question Sinusitis is worst with CPAP. natyprueba 12 3,770 07-30-2016, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Sad Sinusitis Anthony P 3 1,667 02-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Chronic Sinusitis & OSA C-PAP 4 2,508 08-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Last Post: C-PAP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.