Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Apnea & Anesthesia Advice
RE: Sleep Apnea & Anesthesia Advice
In some ways, I'm more at risk than I believe you are regarding being put under. I have pre-existing central apnea; I have a bad habit of stopping breathing in my sleep. That is with or without a vanilla CPAP.

If anything bad is going to happen, the OR is probably the best place for it to take place. That surgical team isn't going to let you die on them. They take their job seriously, and that includes wheeling a live, breathing patient into recovery. Dead patients can't pay their bill.

So relax, take a deep breath and go to surgery. Just make sure you tell them you're a CPAP therapy user and ask beforehand if your machine and mask need to be with you.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for everyone that posted. It is comforting to correspond with people have have same issues I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently underwent a 5 1/2-hour procedure under general anesthesia.  My primary care doctor warned me that there could be a problem coming out of the anesthesia.  I wasn't terribly concerned because the doctor doing the procedure is the one that sent me for a sleep study.  My machine had not been delivered at the time of the procedure, so I wasn't able to bring one with me.  The anesthesiologist came and got a full history from me before the procedure, including the OSA and that I had never had general anesthesia before.  I was confident they would handle things during the procedure.  I woke up without a problem.  At one point when I was in the recovery room and wide awake an alarm started going off.  I asked my husband what is was and he said it was my apnea alarm.  I took a deep breath and it stopped.  It started to go off again at one other time and I stopped it immediately by taking a deep breath.  On the whole everything went smoothly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 226 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 119 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,526 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,697 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 291 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 199 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.