Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related?
Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related?
I started APAP treatment 7 years ago because of both obstructive and central sleep apnea.  At the time, I had some weight gain, and had developed afternoon fatigue, elevated blood pressure and high blood sugar.  (All despite a good exercise regimen and a good diet).

Many doctors and medical experts told me it was all due to untreated sleep apnea.

I have had successful APAP treatment with AHI's consistently between 1-2 for the most part the past 7 years.  I am sure my heart and cardiovascular system is improved by the treatment.

I have added even more exercise, an even better diet, but my weight and blood sugar has continued to rise; however, my blood pressure is well controlled.

Recent blood tests now suggest many of the symptoms were due to Cushing's disease (and it was possibly that all along).

Just wondering if there is any connection between Cushing's disease (not caused by external steroids) and sleep apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related?
Yes. People with Cushing's Disease are at risk of developing obstructive sleep apnea but I'm not sure if there's a causal relationship or merely a correlation.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. To satisfy my curiosity, did you ever take a corticosteroid for some reason or another during this timeframe? If so, were you significantly affected by side effects of the drug?
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
@BoxcarPete:  No, I have never taken any corticosteroids.  I read that they are for allergies and asthma, which I have neither condition.

I consider my treatment for apnea fairly successful, but unfortunately it didn't help the symptoms that I was most concerned about.
Post Reply Post Reply
They are for a ton of things. The version for allergies and asthma is probably a nasal spray, but they come in all forms (oral, topical, injection, etc.) and are used in some way by almost all medical specialties. Some of the most powerful anti-inflammatory drugs known to man, they can be prescribed by anyone for anything that they think should go away.

I ask because each of the past couple times I've taken corticosteroids for something, I have felt some of the same symptoms as Cushing's disease, at least the ones that can be experienced over a span of 5 days or less. I haven't gotten a firm enough handle on my OSA to start searching for more things, but my consistent response to this particular family of drug has this sort of thing on my follow-up list for a time less than seven years down the road. Thanks for sharing.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 7 284 04-25-2024, 07:28 PM
Last Post: laokg
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 130 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 293 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 165 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 349 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 240 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 439 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.