Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Quality is Poor - Is Leakage to Blame?
Sleep Quality is Poor - Is Leakage to Blame?
Hello All,

I have been trying to use my Resmed 10 BiPAP ASV, but it is a real struggle because sleep seems unrefreshing. I wake up in the middle of the night SO tired that I can't put the mask back on. It seems to take some conscious effort on my part to relax and fall asleep with the mask, so when I wake up in the middle of the night in this state of terrible super-sleepiness, I take the mask off. I also am waking up in the morning in this insane state of super-sleepiness. It is not like grogginess, it more like a terrible desire to go back to sleep accompanied by sleep inertia symptoms of sluggishness and irritability. 

The only evidence I have that Bipap helps is that my FOCUS seems to be improving, even though I continue to struggle with being tired, really there is more tiredness, but less total inability to focus. 

Anyway, I am looking at my Oscar data, and it looks like maybe the leakage is the only issue. If this seems right, then what do you do to reduce leakage? I have nasal pillows and don't witness a lot of leakages. I do sometimes experience "gurgling" in which the air seems to be coming into my mouth through the throat even when my mouth is closed. Less frequent than the gurgling is air shooting out of the mouth despite mouth being closed (it zips out through the edges of my lips,but again this is less common than the gurgling) 

I am baffled at how the machine claims I have NO events - no apnea, hypopnea, etc.  Does this mean the thing is probably providing some kind of theraputic benefit, but I just have to get MORE hours of quality sleep to get the benefits to max? 

Oscar data is clumsily attached, possibly improperly due to how tired I am. Thanks for your patience!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Quality is Poor - Is Leakage to Blame?
I would agree with you on your leakage, that’s is very disruptive. Correct the leakage problem and you will benefit. Unfortunately finding a mask that provides leak free therapy seems to be a never ending challenge to this treatment. Also, remember it took you a while to develop this sleep problem so it’s probably going to take a while to get it under control. Don’t get frustrated, stay the course. You will see improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Quality is Poor - Is Leakage to Blame?
DoktorSpengler (if that is your REAL name):
While I am not going to attempt to analyze your data, I can say that I have the same machine as you and use a full mask (F20). I do not notice significant leaks. My big problem now is big dips in SpO2 while I am awake and on the machine. But that has nothing to do with leaks and is another story. For you, if possible, try an F20 full mask or something like it.

You might also consider 3mg or so of melatonin or a dose of Nyquil (which has an antihistamine that another member indicated worked wonders for his central apnea). Sleeping on your left side may also help (perhaps more for OA, but Google it).

Maybe some expert members here can comment on your data.
Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ohmy Very Poor Quality of OSA Research and Almost Non-existent Specific CPAP Testing mdmarmd 1 142 04-13-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 788 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 155 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 226 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 307 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 257 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 308 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.