Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep apnoea pillow?
Sleep apnoea pillow?
Would you recommend using a pillow designed especially for people with sleep apnoea?

I've seen a few online but wonder whether standard feather pillow would do just as well.
Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP ay 8 cm. fixed pressure.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnoea pillow?
Speaking only for me, there is a difference when using a CPAP or Buckwheat pillow versus other types.   You obtain additional support without "mask push", if there is such a term. Additionally, they seem to aid in reducing chin tuck, which can lead to hypopnea and OA events.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like it's worth a try...
Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP ay 8 cm. fixed pressure.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the Core Products Double Edge CPAP Pillow found on Amazon.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had not even thought of looking into other pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a buckwheat hulls pillow and like it very well. I can bunch it up a little under my neck and that seems to keep me from chin tucking. It's also surprisingly comfortable.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
In my opinion, most pillows designed for sleep apnea or proper cervical support are worse for positional apnea than a thinner more flexible pillow. I can't even begin to guess the number of people using a contoured memory foam pillow that caused more obstructive apnea than a regular pillow. Read our wiki on positional apnea and you will understand better the mechanics of chin-tucking and its contribution to obstructive apnea clusters http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2021, 06:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In my opinion, most pillows designed for sleep apnea or proper cervical support are worse for positional apnea than a thinner more flexible pillow. I can't even begin to guess the number of people using a contoured memory foam pillow that caused more obstructive apnea than a regular pillow. 

Huh. Makes sense. Got a cervical pillow and soft collar to try and get rid of the odd nights with more OAs while waiting for my doctor to get onto the ASV. Turns out that my normal lolled head position, which looks like it should cut off my air supply, doesn't, and somehow the pillow did (and the collar didn't seem to be much better but I didn't get a full night with that on). On top of that, both left me with shoulder and neck discomfort the next day, so I'll stick to my old pillow, I think (which is memory foam but not shaped).
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Sleeprider. I tried a couple that is said to be 'cervical pillow,' but they didn't do much in terms of reducing my apnea. I use your avg firm Target pillow, and not much difference in terms of AHI from other pillows.

If you are a side-sleeper, a CPAP pillow can be useful, but if you end up on your back with a CPAP pillow that has high profile, it can cause positional apnea from causing chin-tuck.

More important are room temperature, humidity, and cervical collar if there are positional issues causing apnea.

If you live in a dry climate, humidifier is a must for clear nasal passageway, so there will be issues in laying position.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 265 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 342 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.