Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help: stinky air from CPAP after hospital stay
Need help: stinky air from CPAP after hospital stay
Hello,
After a brief hospital stay, the air from my bilevel CPAP stinks. I've washed the hose and my mask and changed the filter. Even ran the machine for a couple of hours trying to clear it but the odor persists. My CPAP carrying bag also smells though not as strong as the air from the CPAP.

It smells like chemical disenfectant. The way airports and doctor's offices smell after their cleanings due to the Covid pandemic. (I remember the smell being especially strong in the Seattle and Atlana airports, so bad I needed to shower and immediately wash my clothes when I got home).

Any recommendations on how to purge the smell from the CPAP? I'm diabled and have poor vision so taking the machine apart to clean it is not really an option for me. If that is what it needs, can anyone recommend a reputable company who can do that?

thank you.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help: stinky air from CPAP after hospital stay
You might try leaving it outside on a bright sunny day. Fresh air and bright sun can be a good deodorizer.
Post Reply Post Reply
My daughter occasionally comes to stay for a weekend, and that means her three Portuguese Water Dogs have to be caged in my 'train room' (HO scale layout). It stinks when she and the dogs leave and I go in to vacuum all the hair. Finally, I clued in and purchased an electric de-odorizer/ozonater. They're just a few dollars at amazon. I set it to de-odorize and let it run for between six and 12 hours. It works. It will work inside of a mostly-sealed garbage back containing the operating ozonater and your machine. I would remove and replace the filter, leaving that hatch ajar, and place no water in the humidifier. Hose and mask attached as per normal, and run the PAP machine with a bit of a resister in line so that it thinks you're still attached. It will shut off if there is no resistance to the flow.

I would let it run for no more than about an hour as you don't want too much exposure to ozone. Try it out that night. I think that a fresh filter, cleaned pipes and channels, should help a great deal. Works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try a little Ozium. With the machine running in the "Mask Fit" mode, shoot a blast into the intake. This stuff works wonders after someone has show-n-tell with their last meal when flying.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your recommendations. Greatly appreciated.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 114 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Diagnosis] Best Sleep Hospital or Clinic for Troubleshooting PAP Perchance2Dream 0 408 05-09-2023, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Perchance2Dream
  [Equipment] ResMed heated humidifier tubing doesn't stay warm Dr.Bob 8 1,263 04-06-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  [Pressure] Testkit hospital | First Nights | Oscar Data | Pressure Settings Tjahkwn 3 549 10-23-2022, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] Should I stay or should I go? Moseby 6 834 10-19-2022, 07:11 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.