Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping on incline
Sleeping on incline
Hi everyone started Cpap about 7 months ago. Going great sleeping like a baby. About 3 months ago found out I have Gerd and Lpr (reflux that goes into my mouth and throat). Had to have an egd with dilation due to esophageal strictures so pretty serious so they told me to elevate my bed with an 6 -8 inch incline. Ever since i started sleeping on the incline I have had terrible dry mouth. Mostly on the right side.  Adjusted my humidity level to 6 and still not helping. Leaks are under control and  I use a nasal mask and keep my mouth closed. Does anyone have any suggestions besides sprays etc. thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping on incline
It sounds like the elevation is causing you to chin tuck.  You might try s Soft Cervical Collar (SCC).  If you are not familiar with how we recommend they be used, here is a Wiki link to provide this and a whole bunch more information on them.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gogirl,
You are probably on the right course with elevating your bed with an 6 -8 inch incline, but you mention sleeping on your right side.  Almost everything I've read about Gerd, reflux and digestive issues suggest that sleeping on your left side is best.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/physical...-and-sleep

Waking with a dry mouth does suggest some form of either mouth breathing and/or your jaw/mouth is simply dropping open when sleeping and allowing air to escape.  

If you don't mouth breathe, then it may be the latter.  Find a way to prop something under your jaw/chin area.  Some here use the corner of their pillow to tuck under chin,
Some have used a rolled up small towel, or even a kid size travel neck cushion (used backwards) to tuck under their chin.
Some resort to a soft cervical collar, but I'd try other things before that.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone I followed the suggestion of tucking part of my pillow under my chin and it worked great. Slept like a baby.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great! I'm glad that worked for you!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 3 22 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: johnathanb76
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 635 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,093 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 998 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 287 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 322 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.