Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping problems for years, desperately hoping CPAP will save my life!
RE: Sleeping problems for years, desperately hoping CPAP will save my life!
Please be sure you've asked for an Airsense 10 Autoset. The "Autoset" is important. I think you absolutely have to try CPAP. The people here will help you interpret your data and revise your settings to maximize the benefits of treatment. You are not going to be able to determine ahead of time what kinds of benefits it will or won't have, given the nature of your respiratory-related sleep problem.

The leg movements may be an independent problem. Again, information about treatment is here: https://www.utmedicalcenter.org/medical-...ing-sleep/

Here is an excerpt:

"The initial treatment for RLS may include: Iron and vitamin supplementation (especially if anemia or iron deficiency), removing treatments that can make RLS worse (for example neuroleptic, antihistamine, antidepressant medications), eliminating alcohol or caffeine intake, exercise, walking, stretching, taking a hot or cold bath, massaging, acupressure, or relaxation/mind engagement techniques. If these interventions are insufficient to alleviate symptoms the other treatments may be needed.

First line drug treatment includes: dopaminergic agents and gabapentin. Other therapies include anticonvulsants, opiates and benzodiazepines. Treatment duration varies and could require frequent adjustment of medications to get the best response. Although dopaminergic agonists such as ropinirole (Requip) and pramipexole (Mirapex) are the only drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment RLS, the other treatments are also effective. All these drugs may produce side effects and must be prescribed by a doctor."

It is quite disappointing that your sleep scientist seems to be unaware of the treatment options for this disorder. I would recommend sharing this information with him or her and asking for a treatment plan.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airsense 10 CPAP has no data. The Elite has data but is fixed pressure. The Autoset has auto-adjusting pressure and more features. The important feature for you is the data and EPR. Elite will work, but Autoset is a bit better ad worth the extra cost. Do not accept a machine without data or you can't self-titrate effective pressure and settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
'The Airsense 10 CPAP has no data. '
Sorry but what does this mean? I thought i was being recommended the airsense because the data/diagnostics are valuable?
Post Reply Post Reply
AirSense is a model line
Chevrolet is a model line, do you want a Cruze, or a Corvette?
AirSense 10 has four models
CPAP (only this one has no data)
Elite
AutoSet
AutoSet for Her

CPAP is also a general generic term and includes CPAPs, APAPs, BiPaps, BiLevels, ASVs, and even ventilators. The common feature is all use a pressure to splint open the Airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok thanks for the guidance all.
On this forums advice i decided against a BMC and ended up purchasing a Fisher and Paykell Sleepstyle Fixed.

Is this supported by OSCAR? Wiki helps seems to indicate that it is partially supported? Any guidance would be appreciate so i can share my diagnostics for support to optimize the settings.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
So i tried it out last night and physician has said that it was on the awake pressure of 5cmH2O all night! He believes i didn't sleep machine but it certainly did feel like i was alseep at times and had dreams.

They are suggesting to try it again when i am really tired.

Pressure was set at 7cm and EPR on 2.
Mask fit was perfect, no leaks.

Any idea on what this has happened?! Is there a setting i have missed?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2020, 12:35 AM)Baswold31 Wrote: On this forums advice i decided against a BMC and ended up purchasing a Fisher and Paykell Sleepstyle Fixed.

People here didn't only say don't get a BMC; they also said to get a Resmed ;-)

Among other reasons is OSCAR offers really good support for Resmed machines, and not for your's.

I don't suppose you could take it back and get one of the recommended Resmeds?
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have little testing data for F&P could you please send us a copy of your SD card   zip and place mi my Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/request/6VeFzBXa4qZ37EgphL5b

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2020, 06:12 PM)Baswold31 Wrote: ...

Sleep scientist suggested that being warm/hot can lead to leg arousal. What is the recommended treatment for plm? Does anyone have any methods they have tried and has worked?

I was hoping that the CPAP machine would be my saviour, however i am having doubts.

Barry.

There is more to sleep than what the PAP treatment can do for you.  There is the way you sleep, where you sleep, when you sleep, how long you sleep.........

It is well-established that getting into a fairly hot (38-41 Deg C) bath for perhaps five minutes, a bit longer, and then cooling off just prior to getting into bed, helps to chill you enough to encourage sleep.  Wait!  I know it's not exactly intuitive, but hear me out.  We sleep better when we are allowed to cool our cores by about 1.5 deg, a bit more.  By getting into a hot bath, or even enjoying six-eight minutes in an outdoors SPA at midnight, as I do most nights, you get glowing-in-the-dark hot.  When you emerge after a comparably shorter than normal soak in a hot tub/SPA, your skin will quickly radiate away heat.  Inside of about 5 more minutes, if you delay drying your skin, you'll be getting onto being a bit chilled, especially if you do this outdoors in the cool evening air.  You complete the drying and immerse yourself in your sheets.  If you mind isn't fretting over unresolved or un-accomplished issues, you should drift off fairly soon.

Startling awake is often caused by body movement.  The leg thrashing is often the end product caused by the body sagging as it falls asleep.  The head rolls a bit, the vestibular system sounds an alarm, you startle awake, and you thrash out in response.  Not necessarily this, but often this.  You may have to learn a different sleeping posture to ensure you move as little as possible as you fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mesenteria has some excellent ideas to try. Please also see my earlier message about drugs that can help with restless legs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 180 33 minutes ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 163 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Tools for "forced" side sleeping (noodles), do they work Fox66 2 96 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 11 243 04-19-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP & Ear Problems Steptoe 11 1,534 04-19-2024, 04:05 AM
Last Post: jiyun
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,174 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 145 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.