Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smoke safe for CPAP machine?
Smoke safe for CPAP machine?
I'm a smoker, I've been on CPAP for two weeks. I really didn't think about it, but I do smoke in the room that the CPAP machine is in. I have moved the CPAP machine and I am ACTIVELY trying to quit smoking. I am not just saying that, so I don't need a speech about it.
I will now be smoking outside until my smoke count goes down to 0 a day. I am kinda worried that when I quit smoking that my CPAP is going to smell like smoke forever?
Right now of course, I can't smell smoke much because I smoke. And it doesn't bother me. But once I quit I will be able to smell it. I hope I don't got to spend another thousand dollars on a machine.

I will be  a non smoker in a few days and I say that in confidence because this isn't one of those times where I'm just trying to quit, it's serious, it's over. 

Should I go ahead and buy a new filter?

I also do have some cats and the pet dander is probably high. Any home filters that are recommended?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Smoke safe for CPAP machine?
I have a serious problem with cigarette smoke. No problem with wood fire charcoal etc. I cannot even go into some homes because they are smokers homes. In the past I was literally dropped to my knees with my vision narrowing and closing in from some one smoking about 100 yards away. The wind was very low, calm, so no turbulence to disperse the smoke. My point is I am hyper sensitive.
Recently stayed at a smoke free hotel, the third room they showed us still had an oder but below my critical threshold. Turns out that was because the window was open. Wife shut the window and the oder became bad, how bad? I attempted to sleep in my car wo my CPAP. Didn't work. With the window open the smell reduced and I eventually fell asleep. I get home and my machines reals of stale second hand smoke. I was lucky, changing the filter got rid of it.

Look for ozmium (sp). To cut the smell.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on trying to stop smoking. I wish you success.
My dad started smoking when he was 14 and stopped (cold turkey) at age 70.

And yes, definitely change the filter in your Cpap regularly.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2021, 07:06 AM)tommydavid9343 Wrote: I will be  a non smoker in a few days and I say that in confidence because this isn't one of those times where I'm just trying to quit, it's serious, it's over. 

Should I go ahead and buy a new filter?

I also do have some cats and the pet dander is probably high. Any home filters that are recommended?
Welcome

Bravo and congrats.  No speeches other than  Good-work

Yes.  We can't post commercial links but look for on google.
DreamStation 2 Auto CPAP Reusable Pollen Filter by Philips
DreamStation 2 Auto CPAP Advanced Disposable Ultra-Fine Filter by Philips

I have cats as well.  The ultra fine helps.  Have you been Allergy tested though?  It helps to know all the things you are allergic for.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to be a smoker and just have no tolerance for the smell anymore. I won't buy a car or a CPAP that has been owned by a smoker, and avoid places where people smoke. Good luck with your effort to stop, and remember, "just one" is the path back to addiction. As far as your CPAP, it will retain odors from smoking. There is silicone and closed cell foam in the machines that retain smoking odors, that are very difficult to remove. Chances are you will not ever notice it and the smell will diminish over time. This does not damage the machine unless you actually subject it to raw smoke while the machine is running causing condensation of tars in the machine. I have been in forest fire areas where my unit retained the smell for quite a while, but eventually the smoke odor went away. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming you don't smoke in the room with the CPAP machine again, and only two weeks contamination:

There will be zero health consequences from the smoke residue in your CPAP machine.  

There will be zero health consequences from the "contaminated" filter. 

Any smells in the machine should mostly dissipate within a few weeks of smoke-free usage because you will have fresh air blowing through it.  Probably quicker than the rest of your house.  A non-smoker might notice it a bit longer, but it should clear out.

Any residual chemicals from the smoke that continue to come out of your CPAP machine will be so enormously smaller than what you've already absorbed that it won't matter to you, especially after a few weeks of the machine airing itself out.  

Smoking around the CPAP machine (or anything else) will tend to leave gunk everywhere.  It could gum things up inside the machine and cause problems if it's bad enough.   I can't believe that two weeks of exposure would make much difference unless someone was smoking right next to the CPAP while it was in use.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the replies. 

The main thing that worried me was health risk. Although, since I smoke actual cigarettes that are far worse, the idea that I could stop smoking, be doing better, and nicotine or some dangerous chemicals could still be going in my system from the CPAP where it was in a smoke house for whatever reason makes me paranoid. 

Logic would dictate that I should not be paranoid about that and I should be paranoid about smoking an actual cigarette but I can't control how I think of these things. The CPAP has helped my life so much. It completely changed my life. 

Because of this I am so paranoid of being without it. This has sped up my effort to quit smoking and I really have no doubt that I'll be able to as I have faith in Christ that I will. 

I even bought a generator to run the CPAP if the power went out. I don't want to go without it. I bought new filters today, I bought the one you wash and the replaceable one. 

The dreamstation 2 itself appears to still be very clean. I looked in it very well and saw no residues or anything.

Before I even thought of this, when the machine was new, I did fill the room up with smoke as I was chain-smoking and drinking coffee on the internet and then I went to sleep with the CPAP. I believe it made me sick, because I had a really bad AHI and I don't normally have a bad AHI and I felt nervous. It felt like I possibly smoked all of those cigarettes and then for the next 8 hours it pumped me full of recycled smoke and I smoked them all again. 

After that happened I became paranoid about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just hang in there buddy.  Hebrews 12:1
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 305 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,730 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 366 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,291 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.