Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Some Advice Needed (Machine Selection)
Some Advice Needed (Machine Selection)
I'm new here and hope this is the right place to post. I saw that no one has posted in the Philips recall thread since 2017, so I am coming here.

I'm a bit late to the party and found out that my Philips System One, Series 50 BiPAP was recalled about a month and a half ago. I registered the machine but have not decided what to do as of this point so am looking for advice. 

I have the option of returning my unit for an APAP of undetermined model or I have a couple of other options. I called the 800# and was told that, if I were to opt for the replacement through Philips, I would probably get a Dreamstation 2, but they cannot/will not guarantee anything. I also read the actual proposed settlement documents and confirmed with the settlement administrators that I could be reimbursed for one of the following [if purchased prior to the acceptance of the settlement] - ResMed Aircurve 10 S, ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, or React Health Luna G3 BiLevel 25A. Those models are the specific listed replacements for my current Philips machine. The last option is that I just table the whole Philips issue and go through insurance to get a new machine of whatever type they recommend.

The idea of a VPAP appeals to me as I am trying to lose some weight and having an APAP would be better for varying levels (I have OSA) as weight changes. That said, I did look at the options that are valid for reimbursement and have read that the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto has a very small water tank and my house tends to be dryer in the winter and it may not be the best choice for a mouth breather. The Philips Dreamstation 2 may be okay but I don't even know that I would get that model and I don't really trust Philips (especially after reading updates to the proposed settlement where they are STILL lying about stuff and getting caught). The React Health sounds okay but is ginormous, it's not an APAP, and I'm not crazy about the cellular component. 

What would you all recommend or do you have any thoughts regarding the information I have provided? Thank you for any help you are able to provide!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Some Advice Needed (Machine Selection)
Welcome to Apnea Board,

Of all those machine choices, your very best bet is the ResMed VAuto, not the S. Skip all the others, ResMed is proven good. You don't want off brands, and you likely don't want to trust therapy to another Respironics.

Members here can help with settings and any other question you've got.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave is right. Ask for the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto. It's the best.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
PS from above, you need to make your decision known. If you do go the insurance route, you're the user. You want your desired machine choice heard. Don't allow machine choices up to others ever.

This doesn't mean that list of compensation for the recalled PR. That's a separate and specific issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the input! The review about the water tank on the ResMed APAP is supposedly from a Respiratory Therapist on RespShop under that specific machine (sorry- I'm too new to post the link). That was my only concern, so I think I'll purchase it and submit for reimbursement as it seems like the best option for a new machine at this moment.

Sarcastic Dave- you are 100% on target! I should keep these issues/options separate as one has nothing to do with the other!

I found it for $1119 in a non-cellular version with a standard tube. I don't think my System One had a heated tube (it adds ~$700 to the price I found) - do I need that with this machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
On the humidifier tub, it should be reasonably sized for most users, on the ResMed that is. You'll be presented with a humidity Auto and Manual operating modes, and then setting of 0-8. I can't guarantee it but you might you still be OK with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Aircurve 10 Auto on Respshop Supplier #29 is an excellent deal at $1199. I don't think Philips is going to fully reimburse an old System One 50 Series BiPAP Auto, but I hope the best for you. Anyway, the Airsense 10 Autoset is far superior to the Philips BiPAP you were previously using and if you need any help getitng it setup, we will be glad to help. If you have a SD card in your old BiPAP you can view the settings and data using the free OSCAR program.

Please note you cannot link to items on a supplier site or use a supplier name that includes ".com" on Apnea Board. You can identify the supplier number from our Supplier List or the name without the link details. We maintain a strict non-commercial rule concerning DMEs in order to protect the site's status as educational. Check out Rule #3 https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...oard-Rules
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the additional replies!

Sleeprider, I understand what you are saying about the reimbursement, but I actually read the entire settlement and then e-mailed the settlement administrators to confirm that I was drawing an accurate conclusion. The parts of the settlement documents I relied upon were section 3.4 of the proposed settlement and exhibit 5A. The settlement administrators did  e-mail me back and told me that what I understood about the full reimbursement IS accurate. The machine must be purchased prior to the settlement being accepted (it is not as of today but a motion was filed to recommend that the court agree to the acceptance of the proposed settlement by all parties as written) and the options I posted are my (a System One Series 50 owner) only options covered for reimbursement by the proposed settlement. Should the court decline to approve the proposed settlement and/or the settlement is reworked to exclude this, then I would not get reimbursed. I'm comfortable taking what I see as a minimal risk at this point.

Sleeprider- does the heated humidifier make a huge difference? It seems as though that is the only difference between spending $1200 and $1800. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're meaning the ResMed 10 series heated humidifier, it's already in the machine. It's integrated not a separate component style build. The humidifier tub slides into the right side where the humidifier resides.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are looking at a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto, the humidifier is integral to the machine. It cannot be separated or sold separately. When I looked at Respshop, the Vauto was on sale for $1199 and that included a complete non-cellular (no modem) machine in with humidifier and standard tube. They have a version with modem and a heated Climateline tube, for $1816. You can buy a Climateline heated tube for Airsense 10 for well under $50 many places, so the higher cost is for the cellular modem chip. The real question is when will the non-cellular (Card to Cloud) version be back in stock.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Advice needed - anyone with Oscar experience! limoz 3 78 1 hour ago
Last Post: sauerkraut
  AirSense/Curve 10 jumper cable needed PappaJoe 3 161 07-21-2024, 10:53 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Help needed with Aircurve 10 Vauto settings SDM1 8 411 07-16-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 294 272,663 06-22-2024, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Cape67
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 3,403 06-11-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Seeking advice OSA TheWishyOne 2 211 06-06-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] New to all this need advice JamesRyan 134 12,329 06-04-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.