Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SpO2 dip without apnea, breathing pattern question
SpO2 dip without apnea, breathing pattern question
I see this fairly regularly, an extended period, close to an hour here, where my SpO2 levels are low.  During this period my breathing pattern looks a little odd, but I didn't see this pattern on the wiki.  Sometimes there's an OA right before this happens, but last night there wasn't one, not even a short one. 

My typical breathing pattern looks closest to class 6 I think.

Is this cause for concern?  Are there any adjustments I should make?  My AHI is almost always < 1 with the current settings.  Thanks for any advice

I've attached my OSCAR graphs, for the whole night

Zoomed during a typical period

and zoomed in during the period where my SpO2 dipped into the low 90s/upper 80s.

Oops, I meant to post this in the main forum. I don't see an option to delete or move it though, sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SpO2 dip without apnea, breathing pattern question
rjbutler,
I moved this thread from the Software Support Forum here to the Main Forum.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Typical Resmed algorithm; ignoring the obvious inspiratory flow issues leading to extended periods of hypopneas/waxing/waning/fluctuating o2 levels.

I would either keep your APAP range the same with EPR off, or fix pressure at 8cm and EPR off, then repost results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks @Apnea23, I tried with EPR off last night and had a lot of mouth leakage and mask leakage.  I'll try mouth tape and tightening the headstrap a bit tonight.  The O2 levels looked slightly better overall I think, but there was still an extended dip around 94-95 and one big dip after a hypopnea/apnea event.

I zoomed in on the period just before the drop below 95.  Let me know if there's anything else that would be informative.

Thanks for the help
Post Reply Post Reply
Full face mask? If so I wouldn't tape.

I personally would use fixed pressure at 9cm (not an APAP range) or try fixed pressure 11cm with 2 EPR and see what happens. I only say the latter because I think that flow rate needs some assistance in rounding.

I'm not an expert but I think your pressure has been far too low, and the EPR just nosedived it on exhale even more so, contributing to or making it even harder to overcome any obstructions on inspiration.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, nasal pillows. I woke up a few times leaking from my mouth and a few times with air leaking from the pillows. I had it fairly loose with EPR on and it was fine, but I think the extra pressure on exhale means I need to tighten it a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
With your huge sp02 dip it looks like it's happening while your mouth is open / or you're experiencing mouth drop based upon the leak data. It also looks like you had an arousal based upon the breathing pattern. Once you get your leaks sorted it will be interesting to see if your sleep quality improves.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't have a problem with leaks before turning off EPR, so I assume it's the added pressure on expiration that's forcing my mouth open. I've tried taping in the past and ended up taking it off during the night, but I'll try again. Or maybe I should try gradually reducing the EPR to zero rather than all at once to see if I can get used to it. I'll try the tape first though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,106 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 391 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 511 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 826 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.