Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SpO2 drop and panic attack upon waking related?
SpO2 drop and panic attack upon waking related?
My normal daytime SpO2 is 94-95% max, and was the same at night until recently. I've been noticing I now drop to 90-92% sometimes for periods of time (30min). This morning I woke up with a very warm feeling in my face. SpO2 was 91% on both my Contec CMS50F and a finger oximeter. My HR also shot up over 100bpm. This has all happened several times recently. Two weeks ago, I was waking up, and just moved my legs, and for no apparent reason, had a major panic attack. This has been going on for a long time for me and now I suspect it has something to do with low SpO2 or poor blood circulation at night. I've had two DVT's/PE's and one AFIB incident in the past and take Xarelto. I also have a little scarring along base of one of my lungs, possibly due to some infection or cold I had in my lifetime. 

I have (2) CMS50F's and tried each one out every other night, and they show same SpO2 drops to 90-92%, when I wake up during the middle of the night or in morning. 

My AHI is well controlled, but not sure why my SpO2 would drop to 90-92% and why I have major panic attacks upon just waking and moving around in bed. My Pulmonologist did a walk test up/down stairs, and my SpO2 dropped 92%. I've tested this myself at work, and it goes down to 90% with HR 130+. I know I'm out-of-shape, but at 47yo, I don't think it's normal.

I'm having an Echocardiogram Stress test in a few weeks, but I suspect it won't show anything. I just had one two years ago, and I've had previous heart tests which was all normal. They said if that comes back negative, they may order a VQ Scan of my lungs, to check for remaining clots and blood flow. My hematologist did recent blood work with D-Dimer test, and it was negative for clots.

Previously I posted about my recent airline flights where I was getting dizzy and my oximeter showed 85-90% during the flights. My doctors had no answers for that and said to wait for my stress test.

Anyone know why SpO2 would drop down to 90-92% at night, with no apnea?

[Image: 8EojvvW.png]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SpO2 drop and panic attack upon waking related?
I'm 30 and i get to 130's from walking the stairs too, im not even overweight. In my case it's ME/CFS.

One possible thing would be low hemoglobin, another since your heart is running 130 bpm it might not be pumping blood effectively.

Xarelto is a controversial medication, studies have shown that a poorly controlled warfarin therapy is more successful and with less dangerous side effects then a pill-a-day xarelto. If i had to get on a blood thinner I'd avoid xarelto and its peers like pradaxa. But if you're already on it I dont know what to really suggest besides going to some renowned heamatologist.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 1 161 Today, 08:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 323 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 196 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 112 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] How does the CSV extract from Wellue SpO2 ring look like? Ayush Shrivastava 2 153 04-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Ayush Shrivastava
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 328 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Going it alone-help me with my settings and SpO2 desats Papgirl 4 256 03-31-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.