Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spell Checking
RE: Spell Checking
(03-09-2012, 08:41 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(03-09-2012, 06:25 AM)Sleepster Wrote: So, there's no way to use the spell checker with IE?

I think there is, but I think you have to install the newer version of Internet Explorer.... found this for IE ver. 9:

Quote:Checking to see if spell check is enabled

You can check if the Internet Explorer spell check add-on is enabled in Internet Explorer 9:

a. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.
b. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
c. Under Show, click All add-ons.
d. Click the Internet Explorer spell check add-on, and then click Enable.

Internet Explorer add-ons: frequently asked questions:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windo...-questions

Not sure, but if the spell-check addon is not installed, you may have to download third-party software for that. Here's three free spell checkers I've found, although I have no clue as to their safety or reliability or whether they'll work with your version of Internet Explorer:

http://www.iespell.com/

http://www.ie7pro.com/spell-checker.html

http://www.speckie.com/home/

Any of you Internet Explorer users have info to add here? Huh

Thanks.

we haven't updated to ie9 yet. we wait with things like that til all the bugs are worked out.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 09:17 AM)greatunclebill Wrote: we haven't updated to ie9 yet. we wait with things like that til all the bugs are worked out.

It's Microsoft... you might be waiting for a long, long time. Bigwink Too-funny

Just kidding... couldn't resist. Grin
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 09:32 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(03-09-2012, 09:17 AM)greatunclebill Wrote: we haven't updated to ie9 yet. we wait with things like that til all the bugs are worked out.

It's Microsoft... you might be waiting for a long, long time. Bigwink Too-funny

Just kidding... couldn't resist. Grin

i hope this don't open another can of worms. i hear ya, but i like to work with windows stuff while using the windows o/s rather than add on players and browsers, etc. we have always built our own computers and installed our own operating systems with not so legal serial numbers. i have never bought an operating system with the exception of the 2 laptops that came with vista and 7 and never intend to. i do see the day coming in the near future when the not so legal numbers will be impossible to get and harder to install and validate. i do want to go to free linux and have tried a couple times and gave up. it's not as easy as pop the disk in and take off running when there's no one to ask the silly little questions. the last time, i was running from disk and wanted to burn something. well you can't burn to a disk if the operating system is in the drive. so i installed linux. i said to use half of the hard drive. when all was said and done i couldn't burn a disk for whatever reason anyways and tried to get rid of linux. i couldn't see the data from my other partition to burn it, and couldn't burn it in linux. so i was going to format the disk. i even had a hard time with that. i think i wound up trashing the disk. free ubuntu is what i was using. at the time i was using wireless on the desktops and i think there was an issue with drivers and linux.

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand, Bill. I actually use Windows7 on my laptop and I'm very impressed with it... it's like what Windows Vista was supposed to be. Vista has had major issues from the start and continues to be a bloated, buggy and frustrating Windows release. In my opinion, Microsoft would have been well-served and highly praised if they would have simply offered free upgrades to Windows7 for users of the buggy Windows Vista OS. Vista never has worked properly.

Even still, installing Linux (and especially customizing it) is not for the faint of heart. Took me several attempts over the years to finally get comfortable to where I'm using Linux for just about everything now. Most people give up on it after install because they're so used to the "Windows way of doing things" and Linux just doesn't do things like Microsoft Windows.

But again, (probably not you) but many people who install and attempt to use Ubuntu Linux find it frustrating to configure everything to work correctly right away. There's a reason for that, and that is hardware support. They don't realize that when they received their PC brand new, the Operating System was pre-installed on it and pre-checked to make sure all the hardware worked properly with Windows.

That's why Windows worked on their PC - Most PCs you buy online or through a store do not have Linux pre-installed, and therefore there is no pre-checking by the PC maker to ensure that the system and all it's components will run properly with Linux. So, it's really an unfair comparison when some people say, "Linux just doesn't work like Windows does". It does work. It's just that with Windows, all the "checking" and "making sure" that the hardware is compatible has been done prior to you purchasing the PC, plus all the correct drivers and configurations have been done for you in advance.

Even today, I would not recommend a novice computer user attempt to install any new operating system onto a PC, either a new version of Windows or any of the Linux flavors.

But, for those us of who cater to our "inner geek" seem to be okay with doing stuff like that. Too-funny

Hope that made some sort of sense. Coffee

PS.. the one open-source item I would encourage all PC users to install (on any operating system, Windows, Mac or Linux) is the free Firefox Web Browser, simply because it's a much better product for browsing the web than Internet Explorer. You can use both side-by-side with no problems if that's what you wish to do. You can get free Firefox HERE.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the iespell version. it is a short download add-on.

Like my Grandchild said when I told her to look up a word in the "dixshunairy".

"how can I look it up if I don;t know how to spell it??"

hmmmm... good question. we'll have to deal with that later..
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
You can't use IE 9 if you are still using XP. IE 8 is the furthest you can go in XP.

I use Google Chrome for those websites that think my IE 8 out of date.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 10:42 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Even today, I would not recommend a novice computer user attempt to install any new operating system onto a PC, either a new version of Windows or any of the Linux flavors.
I'm not at all comfortable installing Linux. Dipped my toe in it once and found it way too cold. On the other hand, I wouldn't consider a new install of Win 7 anywhere near as daunting. Even though I've never done it. (But I have done new installations of Win XP).

And I do have one advantage. I can do the install at work. That way if I get stuck I can track down a wonk and get help.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 11:04 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Arch, try this:

Reply to this thread, and in the box where you enter text, right click anywhere in that box, and make sure the option ox for "check spelling" has a check mark in it. Could be you accidentally turned this off for apneaboard.com perhaps?

Anyone else having this issue? I'm using Firefox for Linux and it's working fine, underlining my misspelled words (a lot of red in my posts) Bigwink

Nope, spell check is checked, turning it off and back on doesn't bring it back. It works on other boards.

I'm using Fedora and Firefox 10.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2012, 06:59 PM)archangle Wrote: Nope, spell check is checked, turning it off and back on doesn't bring it back. It works on other boards.

I'm using Fedora and Firefox 10.

OK, I fixed it. Right click languages - Add dictionary - US English - install. Now I get spell checking here.

It's still a puzzle to me why it worked on other web sites before I did this.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2012, 07:15 PM)archangle Wrote: OK, I fixed it. Right click languages - Add dictionary - US English - install. Now I get spell checking here.

It's still a puzzle to me why it worked on other web sites before I did this.

For great peace in life, don't ask how or why.... just accept it... trust me, you'll be far more satisfied with life on our planet. Bigwink Too-funny

Tongue
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Checking pressure Made 2 370 10-01-2023, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  On my 4th week, checking in tormund 3 675 03-01-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: tormund
  New guy checking in MikeWarner 2 684 12-03-2020, 10:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Just checking in ... how am I looking? Harlon 4 1,079 07-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Harlon
Question Double checking to see if I have properly identified my machine florida34972 1 915 06-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Thumbsup Checking in Vitamin J 1 1,077 10-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [Equipment] Checking Hours on an S9 Elite drbones 2 1,343 10-02-2018, 11:06 PM
Last Post: drbones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.