Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spiky flow chart?
Question 
Spiky flow chart?
Hey folks,

Been lurking here a while. 

I'm attaching last night's charts. This is sort of a typical night for me. AHI is pretty good (usually under 2), but my flow rate chart always looks messy compared to other people's, and I'm a bit worried about the flow limitations. 

Oh, and in case the side bar wasn't clear: currently on 7cm with EPR on 2.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Spiky flow chart?
Until a bona-fide expert comes along, I will venture to suggest EPR should be 3 to treat flow limitations and hypopnea. That said, your flow limitations and hypopnea are not bad. I have read advice that flow limitations should ideally be under .10 and you are well below that threshold. How do you feel?

Also I wonder how long you have been on PAP therapy. The centrals may be treatment-emergent, in which case the wouldlikely decrease over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've since switched to somewhat higher pressure (10cm) and a full face mask (dreamwear), which greatly improves my leak rate and snoring. The machine suggests the AHI is now very low (<1), but the waveform remains spiky. I don't feel super rested when I wake up (but I also don't feel bad).

I've tried increasing the pressure a bit more, but then I basically fart myself awake all night, which is not much better than regular suffocation Dont-know

Would be grateful if someone could shed some more light on this situation, thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Last year you were using an Elite model, which is a fixed CPAP-only machine. This year you have an Autoset, which is a full APAP, but you're using it in CPAP mode. Is there a reason why? Did you have a titration study in a sleep lab which recommended 10cm H2O?

Can you post a zoom in to some 3 minute samples of spikiness? Note also that the y-axis scale is a factor. Do you have OSCAR set to default scale on the flow rate graph?

This should help while an expert shows up
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm attaching a couple of 3 minute (or thereabouts) samples.

I have two devices, an airsense 10 elite and an airsense 10 autoset. I use one at home, and the other at my girlfriend's place. It was easier to buy a second one than to keep lugging it around. And for some reason, buying the autoset was cheaper than the elite.

The pressure is an ongoing experiment. I increased it because I'm often congested, and it seems to help getting the AHI down to <1 on most nights.

I'm not sure what the oscar default scaling on the y-axis is or how I can change it. When I have a look around on the forum it seems like the y-axis scale differs widely across screenshots :O

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 726 Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 373 Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 75 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 298 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 269 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 190 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 109 8,763 04-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.