Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spreadsheet Analysis of SpO2: Median of +/- one minute looks helpful
Idea 
Spreadsheet Analysis of SpO2: Median of +/- one minute looks helpful
Not yet the "all singing" metric I seek, but a step in the right direction - definitely helpful in removing the clutter (would this be a helpful OSCAR feature?)...

While analysing my oximeter SpO2 data,
which is at "one sample every 4 seconds" resolution,
when exported as CSV from oximeter app O2 Insight,
and subsequently imported to a spreadsheet (LibreOffice Calc)...

I found that plotting a graph of the Median (not Average) over each (sliding) period of 2 minutes gave a much clearer picture of the main trends, e.g. the SpO2 troughs, and retained the original integer value-type, convenient for filtering

In practice I took the median 1 minute before to 1 minute after each timestamp, so as to avoid time/phase-shifting.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Spreadsheet Analysis of SpO2: Median of +/- one minute looks helpful
A sliding window of the median is a well-known method for removing outliers in time-series data, so I think that is what you would be effectively doing with the presented approach. In you are looking for a trend then it seems to me like a good method, however I am not sure that we want to disregard severe desaturations at outliers. Check out the MAD statistic (Median Absolute Deviation, a robust statistics because is not sensible to outliers) for outlier removal that adapts to slow changes in the trend.

This article is interesting as it presents the problem of determining when to alert when desaturations happen: https://www.aami.org/docs/default-source..._based.pdf

I like the idea that is not about an absolute threshold like "below 88%" but also it has to be sustained maybe for 15 seconds before sounding the alarm.

Finally, keep in mind that the data coming from the device is often not raw data. For example, the O2 Ring reads the SpO2 every second but the data we get is the average of the last 4 seconds in 4-second interval.

Since the clinicians seem to be worried with desaturations per hour (drops higher than 3%) maybe that could be a good magnitude to track the trend of?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR SpO2 CSV import ST Dog 22 3,111 04-14-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: ElectricalPaul
  thumbdrive-oximeter-format-analysis capman 6 274 03-15-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: capman
Question Spo2 data format Squid3083 11 2,341 03-11-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Rebakim4
  SpO2 Assistant Data File Conversion WSHenry 3 3,152 01-11-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: BiggerDog
  Can anyone tell me from this screenshot what Oscar is using as my baseline SpO2 level mikep118 13 1,940 11-13-2023, 06:05 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
Gross SpO2 Assistant Unable To Start Correctly Merlin309 0 475 09-03-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Merlin309
Idea Better SpO2 Metrics? Integrative/Cumulative? DavidEsp 1 731 08-22-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: chemmkl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.