Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spy Car Bill's (Hopefully) Excellent ASV Adventure
RE: Spy Car Bill's (Hopefully) Excellent ASV Adventure
(10-16-2017, 10:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It is my diabolical plan to create a society of ballonheads willing to subject themselves to my positive pressure machinations.

Airheads....  Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
So a less good night in terms of sleep (and some possibly ill-considered mid-night dial spinning).

The initial settings (EPAP 6/8 PS 2-10 IPAP 8/10) were better. More comfortable and the numbers are better. But I had trouble sleeping. The sleep problems were probably (mostly) unrelated to the settings. I'm prone to sleep troubles. But he Max pressure still felt like too much.

Desperately hoping to get sleep, I changed the settings about 2 AM. I put the EPAP MIN +1 (up to 3) and lowered PS Max to 9.

I still didn't sleep that well (but got some). The numbers for the second half were worse. I'm posting the sessions below separately.

Where do I go from here?

Bill

[Image: oCeQsn7.png]

[Image: 3oUqbbS.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, I had another less than stellar night's sleep. I can't blame the machine (exactly), I'm sometimes prone to insomnia.

A couple things about these charts. I mostly put back the settings to those of Night #2 (except PS capped at 8), so EPAP 6/9 IPAP 8/17 PS 2-8 to try to minimize the disruptions of the mask blowing so hard. To that end, I also switched masks, which shows up as the last session of the night.

I'd been using an N20 nasal mask (one that spills air like crazy at these pressures) and traded out for a P10 pillow mask (whose minimalism I always loved, but that had resulted in having bad numbers with APAP).

The beautifully designed exhaust feature of the P10s was never more appreciated. Unlike the body wash of air from the N20, I had to check to make sure the machine was on with the P10. I was also much more comfortable with the feeling of the pressure delivery from the P10.

Tonight I will use the P10s from the outset. I'm also planning to go back to Sleeprider's first suggested pressures (since the mask helps) unless he has other thoughts?

One thing I'm feeling is that when starting out the session that I'm "deliciously" in sync with the machine and heading for dreamland. Then, at the critical moment, I feel like my breaths lengthen and the machine doesn't like that. Pressures rise and it starts getting ahead of my natural breathing, and the "take off" moment of entering sleep is lost. I don't know how to fix this.

I have had "ramp" off. I had is off on my APAP as unnecessary. I wonder if a long(ish) ramp might help me with the ASV?

Bill

[Image: SWuoE8A.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2017, 09:05 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 10:33 PM)Spy Car Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 08:11 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Grasshopper, to make you breathe when your mind does not will it.  It is but a whisper and passes quickly.  Only by losing your Qi can you be defeated in your endeavor.

Welcome to the club...notice my settings?

I will comply with your wishes for at least one night Sensei (although my mind wills not having a machine blow up my head) and will report in tomorrow  Big Grin

Bill

I had the same experience—the fear of having a pressure-induced brain explosion—on a SleepRider experiment.

Fear unfounded. Totally.  Big Grin

Not so fast there. His influence made me as bad as I am.  Laugh-a-lot
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to see the P10 making a come-back.

Getting out of sync at sleep transition is pretty tough, and is auto ramp is available you might try that, or set it to what you think you need. You don't have that many events, even on APAP, so ramp is less of an issue for you than for someone prone to many centrals. It looks like about 15 minutes will get you past that transition if you put ramp on a timer. Also, I would simply use the same ramp minimum as your normal therapy, or perhaps even start higher at 7. Sounds strange, but you don't want to be below your therapeutic EPAP pressure. I think you're doing great for less than one-week in.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2017, 10:12 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Glad to see the P10 making a come-back.

Getting out of sync at sleep transition is pretty tough, and is auto ramp is available you might try that, or set it to what you think you need.  You don't have that many events, even on APAP, so ramp is less of an issue for you than for someone prone to many centrals.  It looks like about 15 minutes will get you past that transition if you put ramp on a timer.  Also, I would simply use the same ramp minimum as your normal therapy, or perhaps even start higher at 7.  Sounds strange, but you don't want to be below your therapeutic EPAP pressure.  I think you're doing great for less than one-week in.

Thanks. I don't mind starting at 7. 

I just wish to keep the machine from getting aggressive at the worst possible moment (which it seems like it has consistently). 

It is always on "take-off" to sleep where I'm having the issue of the machine getting ahead of my natural breath and forcing air, just as feel relaxed and ready to sleep.

The sync leading up to the critical moment always feels nice (as does most of the night). The "transition" sucks.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I changed two things last night. I added Auto Ramp (and IMS 6 was the highest starting point I could select, as I was going for 7). I picked a long ramp time (about 35 minutes?)

I also traded my P10 medium cushions for large ones.

Neither were good moves. I had a lot of events in the long ramp time, which I reset once. And the P10 large cushions leaked more than the mediums and were less comfortable.

Not a great night's sleep, but not a wipeout either.

The good news is that I did not feel any struggles with the machine.

Bill

[Image: rALqsRP.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I had suggested short ramp or auto. Appreciate the feedback that ramp cannot be set higher than minimum EPAP. The timing of ramp should correspond approximately to when you see the flow limits and snores start as that would be the onset of your sleep. Pretty amazing how effective the machine is at squelching that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2017, 11:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I had suggested short ramp or auto.  Appreciate the feedback that ramp cannot be set higher than minimum EPAP.  The timing of ramp should correspond approximately to when you see the flow limits and snores start as that would be the onset of your sleep.  Pretty amazing how effective the machine is at squelching that.

Yes, you are correct. I'm responsible for goofing it up. If there is an "auto" ramp on the ASV, I'm not seeing it as an option. I only see on/off and time. 

Since I sometimes take a long time to get to sleep I chose 35 min. I see now that was a mistake. My mistake. 

Should I set a shorter time? Or just forget ramp for now? 

I felt more in sync with the ASV last night. The P10s (vs the N20s) help a lot in dealing with the higher pressures (both in delivery and in reducing the body wash of exhaust).

D'uh that I can't set starting EPAP than minimum EPAP. This is the sort of brain-fogged fellow you are dealing with Sleeprider. Bear with me.

What do you advise for tonight? I will do it with no improvising on my part.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2017, 11:48 AM)Spy Car Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 11:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I had suggested short ramp or auto.  Appreciate the feedback that ramp cannot be set higher than minimum EPAP.  The timing of ramp should correspond approximately to when you see the flow limits and snores start as that would be the onset of your sleep.  Pretty amazing how effective the machine is at squelching that.

Yes, you are correct. I'm responsible for goofing it up. If there is an "auto" ramp on the ASV, I'm not seeing it as an option. ...
Bill

NO-GO on auto ramp on my ASV either. Not that I'm using it, just verifying settings and options for it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 173 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 853 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  BoxcarPete: An Adventure in Fine-Tuning BoxcarPete 32 1,551 12-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  KeepSmiling’s Book 2, ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Adventure/Treatment KeepSmiling 42 4,161 11-26-2022, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Medical baseline: saving a dollar a day on electricity bill thanks to CPAP NelsonM 3 1,114 09-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Last Post: BionicBreather
  [Equipment] Any CPAP Suppliers Who Don't Bill Deductible? msmith404040 0 623 02-12-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: msmith404040
  F&P Brevida [An excellent alternative to the ResMed P10] Fats Drywaller 28 8,114 04-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Reznik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.