Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Started BiPaP treatment, makes things worse. Struggling with the settings.
RE: Started BiPaP treatment, makes things worse. Struggling with the settings.
I realised that looking at the FL and determining when they happened, relative to the mask pressure, would be difficult. In the name of science, I noted the mask pressure at each of the 15 FLs.

Pressure of : 6 to 6.88 - 7/15 Flow limitations at this level.
                 : 8 to 9.25 - 7/15
                 : 10.25      - 1/15

With an EPAP of 6.0 and PS of 2.5, does it still seem like raising EPAP is a good idea given the above data?

The 8 to 9.25 should really be 6, as the final flow limitation was after my alarm went off. I don't really count data after I've woken up (or before I sleep but that tends to be clear anyway). 2 of the "8 to 9.25 Mask Pressure" FL's were during CA's where the flow rate is almost a straight line, so I'm not sure if they "count" either.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I had suggested trying PS 3 before.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider. I changed PS min/max to 3, and max pressure up 0.5 accordingly.

I had a vivid dream turned nightmare-lite (wasn't bad). I woke up in the middle of the night because of it, and did end up going back to sleep pretty quickly. I struggled to get out of bed like on my bad days, and dosed off lightly a few times (without any therapy, but not properly asleep).

Now that I'm up a few hours later, I feel better and don't have my typical brainfog, low energy/motivation, struggle processing things etc that I do on my bad days. Weird! I expected horrible data, but it's actually slightly better, going to build a trend again.

Anyway, attached is the overview and two zooms. First is the clear block from 00:30 to 1:30, looks very good to me. There's a single area with a more erratic flow-rate followed by it being relatively flat, with two pressure pulses. 

1) Are these pulses events that should have been tagged..? 

2) Second zoom shows all the flow limitations - for the majority of them (3/5), there's no issues with flow rate that I can see. What does that mean?

3) Is there any link between having more vivid dreams and PAP therapy? I can imagine either poor therapy results in nightmares/waking up, or perhaps good therapy means actually hitting REM for dreaming properly for a change, which takes some getting used to..? 

I realise that's a lot but I'm just looking to learn!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This therapy looks better, and certainly didn't trigger the CA we have seen with more variable pressure and higher PS previously. Pressure pulses are just tests by the machine to check for airway openness. You would have to zoom in on the flow rate to determine why one was used. Flow limit determination on a Philips machine is different from Resmed, and I honestly don't understand it. You would need to zoom in closer to see the respiratory flow wave in the period flagged as flow limited. Most people experiencing dreams feel therapy is better when that happens. Thee is no metric I can use from Oscar or how you feel to actually know an answer to that question.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate all of the explanation! 

Last night I woke once or twice, and was tired again when I woke up but it wasn't as bad as yesterday. My partner said I looked really bad this morning though. Still feel relatively good when I'm actually up and such though.

I noticed a 10 minute period (1.25 to 1.35) in the night that was filled with issues, I wouldn't be surprised if this is when I woke up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 53 910 1 hour ago
Last Post: SheShells23
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 66 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.