Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting ASV therapy - 1st night results and questions
RE: Starting ASV therapy - 1st night results and questions
00derek, congragulations on getting your ASV! I got mine May 9th and I love it.

I found I did better with the ramp on CPAP, but not with the ASV (I was getting events right as I fell asleep if I used the ramp, even though that never happened on CPAP). I saw some advice here to let yourself settle down in bed for a few minutes before putting on your ASV, to let your breathing rate get closer to where it will be while sleeping. That helped me some. And I've found if I start fighting it, sometimes it's best to just turn the machine off for a moment and start over.

I'm still experiencing a painful amount of aerophagia occasionally. I haven't been able to figure out what I'm doing differently from night to night. Some mornings I wake up with no problem at all. My skin reacts just to the silicone mask cushion, so I expect tape would really mess with it.

ASV is supposed to both support the air passageway (with pressure) and stabilize our breathing. Those of us with central apnea tend to lose our rhythm, getting slower and shallower breaths until we reach that high CO2 threshhold that stimulates the breathing command from brain to muscles. The ASV varying pressure according to breathing tempo seems to help keep us out of that hypoxia spiral.

Here's hoping we keep feeling better!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 26 998 16 minutes ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 844 Yesterday, 09:53 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 163 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 178 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 260 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.