Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How am I going?
How am I going?
Was suggested to try out a CPAP, did a sleep study and got a AH of 10.
Starting treatment on Monday the 24th of April.
Using the Resmed 10 Autoset with a range of different masks, finding the nasal pillows difficult to exhale with. Recently using the Resmed F20 with memory foam.

I find myself not sleeping as well and for less amounts of time - perhaps just not used to treatment yet?

I've attached my first 5 days - how am I going? Any suggestions or anything noticeable?

And my remaining 2 days

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How am I going?
Welcome to the forum. Your AHI numbers are good but pressure fluctuations due to flow limitations may be disrupting your sleep. They are most effectively controlled by EPR. I suggest a minimum pressure of 7 with EPR of 3. Most of your events are CA which should decrease as you adjust to the therapy
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi darksauce!  -  Welcome

Although your AHI seems low, two items stick out to me.  The 6 cm pressure swing, which probably are causing arousals.  The second item is your low tidal volume.  If these were my charts, I would try the following:
  • Turn off the ramp - This is keeping you from your therapy pressure.
  • Raise the minimum pressure to 11 cm. To help with the tidal volume
  • Raise the maximum to 13 cm. This will limit to a more comfortable pressure range
  • Set the EPR to 2. This should reduce some of the flow limitations. The downside is it may increase CAs.  If they become excessive, we can always drop it back to 1.
  • The pressures listed above have taken the EPR of 2 into consideration.

If you decide to try this, see how you feel after 1 night.  Please report back either way.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your suggestion Melman!
I will try and see how it goes

Thank you also for your suggestions Crimson Nape!

I will try them and see how they go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Melman and Crimson Nape for your suggestions yesterday.

I (admittedly) tried Crimson Nape's suggestions for last night's sleep, and the numbers were much better.

I had no reported CA and H, LL dropped but OA increased.
I'm still struggling to fall asleep at a reasonable time (within an hour or two), and stopped the CPAP at 5am when the mask was getting too moist in the mouth (humidity is another thing I have to play with). I may trial the Resmed N20 mask instead to combat the humidity, but I think I should be sticking to the same mask for a bit longer.

What would you suggest is a good time frame to acclimatise to a mask? I traditionally have struggled with nasal pillows because the exhalations were difficult, but I haven't tried since changing the pressures and EPR, which should relieve the exhalation flow rates.

As always, appreciate all your suggestions and advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
i wouldn't be too concerned about the increase in OA. It's very small. Given that you didn't see an increase in CA I suggest you give EPR 3 a try. You had some pressure changes later in the night due to an increase in flow limitations.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
A mask is a personal preference proposition. When you find the right one, it will immediately feel like the one you have been looking for. For me, it is the F&P line of masks. I use, or have used, the Simplus, Vitera, Brevida, and now the Evora Full Face mask. They must have been designed using a model's anatomy that is close to mine. Finding the "right" mask has to be one of the most frustrating endeavors of CPAP therapy.

As far as your events, they appear to be from a positional orientation, something like chin tucking. Also, if you haven't been told, do not to expect to have an AHI of 0.0. They can happen, but shouldn't be expected. Your current numbers are actually below the 5.0 AHI, which is considered normal.

The bottom line now is, how do you feel?

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Changing to EPR3 definitely helped my exhalations - I no longer felt like I was fighting.
But changing to the N20, while it physically felt comfortable on my face, my goodness, the LL..
Woke up at around 4am and slept the rest without the mask.

I initially felt groggier when I woke up, but that's probably from the lack of real sleep.
But I definitely feel like my lung capacity has increased. My breathing feels more open today - how odd

I'll try again with the F20 with the memory foam and dial the humidity back, as that's given me the most comfortable sleep thus far.

Appreciate all the help, as always!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.