Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still fatigued after year of treatment
Still fatigued after year of treatment
Hey yall,
So I've been using my Airsense 11 Autoset machine for about a year now. I've seen some improvements in my fatigue, headaches, ability to think and focus, etc. However, I'm still experiencing a significant amount of fatigue and cognitive symptoms on a daily basis. I was hoping some of you might be able to help me interpret my data and provide some insight.

More info:
  • Male, 26 years old
  • 5'6, 140 lbs
  • I suspect I've been experiencing sleep apnea for at least 8 years
  • I'm also diagnosed with thalassemia
Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still fatigued after year of treatment
sorry to hear, Sad sounds like you have co-morbid problems with the thalassemia. I have narcolepsy with sleep apnea, so i am still fatigued no matter what Sad
I do know that without using the APAP machine, my fatigue is worse.
is your fatigue worse, when not on the machine?
i'm no expert, but maybe try getting your leak rate down a bit?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea my fatigue is way worse when I don't use the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bump!
Post Reply Post Reply
You appear to be between a rock and a hard spot. On one hand, most of your events are CAs, which can be caused from CO2 washout from the IPAP/EPAP pressure difference. On the other hand, your flow limits will probably increase if you reduce your EPR. The flow limit is what a Resmed uses to determine if a higher pressure is used. Increasing the flow limits can cause the Resmed to run to its maximum set pressure. Based on these facts, the best I could recommend is to initially set the EPR to 2 and both the min and max pressure to 11.6 cm. Try this out to see if this works or what further adjustment are needed.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: So I changed my settings as recommended back in June but I haven't noticed a big difference. There's been a slight shift downward in my average AHI but that hasn't really alleviated any of my symptoms. Welcoming any more recommendations on possible changes I can make. Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Two questions:

- Were central apneas present in your sleep study, (assuming you had one)?

- Did you have just a home study, or a full somnography?
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost all of your apnea are central.  You have done the correct settings for pressure in making min and max the same. That may be set a little high. I would lower it by 2 AND turning off the EPR.  

EPR can cause central apnea but it helps with flow limits that you also have. So it is a balancing act between the central apnea and flow limits. Try this set up and compare HOW YOU FEEL on it compared with higher pressures and flow limits.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a two full somnographies, with and without cpap. Central apneas were barely present before treatment and became more prominent after treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Can you post the Statistics Page, complete with all the settings at the bottom.
Looking to see what you've used over time.
Thanks!

My thoughts are to bring the pressure lower in hopes that the CA's would be reduced.
Then reintroduce EPR to help with FL.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 36 2,358 Today, 03:42 AM
Last Post: leono85
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,352 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 224 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 177 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,623 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 558 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 270 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.