Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still snoring with APAP
Still snoring with APAP
Hi all,

I had posted a while ago when we purchased the APAP  as the CPAP devise didn't really help us getting rid of my husbands snores.

Now weeks later we have tried and experimented with the devise and set it to 12- 20 but even though the snores got better they still persist and wake me up at night.

Last night we have started using a neck collar and since it has only been one night I can't tell if it was effective but I have been awoken several times by my dh snores.

Are there ways of "snore proofing" the bedroom or other tricks? We have tried earplugs, white noise and everything but the vibration of the snores are just so strong.

I am really trying to avoid sleeping in separate bedrooms but I don't know anymore.

We have been travelling for a week without the Cpap hence I don't have any updated data handy. I will post them in a few days time.

I would appreciate any advises.

Greetings,

a very tired wife...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still snoring with APAP
keep putting up the min pressure, you have 8cm to go. Smile

people live next to train lines and sleep, you have to accept your part in your sleep disturbance

search the site for...
how to use the cheap foam cervical collar, to keep the neck in the right position to open the airway
a small backpack and fill it with hard lumpy stuff, to stop rolling onto back.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to get/use sleepyhead and post a nights data for people to see what is happening. Is his APAP holding the pressure down due to CAs? or, is it just drifting down to too low of pressure due to few apnea/hypopneas? Sleepyhead detailed data can answer this type of question.

Please post as good sleep is a blessing!

BTW how does you husband feel about his sleep and rested states? He is, after all the primary patient here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Thank you for your replies.

We are trying the cervical collar since a few days and it seems to make a slight difference. 

We had some issues with the machine and he needs to manually set it every night. Would anyone have any suggestions on how to set it so it stays for good? I am just trying to determine whether we have done something wrong or if the machine is faulty.

In terms of my husbands quality of sleep, he felt much better when doing the trial night at the hospital. Ever since he hasn't been able to this good of a sleep for some reason but we feel that the higher the pressure the more rested he is in the mornings. I will make sure to post the results as soon as we used it on the new pressure for a few days. Which result page would you recommend to post?

Thank you very much again, we appreciate the support!
Post Reply Post Reply
He is a Lucky man to have you. Good luck and to both of you Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
The settings should persist and not change back. I assume you are pressing the control knob and ramp button, and changing therapy settings to mode Auto, minimum Pressure 12, maximum pressure 20. It would be very helpful if you would download #Sleepyhead so we can confirm what settings are actually being used, and could see at what pressures the snores occur. This does not need to be a guessing game.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2017, 01:10 AM)Tahera11979 Wrote: We had some issues with the machine and he needs to manually set it every night. Would anyone have any suggestions on how to set it so it stays for good? I am just trying to determine whether we have done something wrong or if the machine is faulty.
Some machines are dispensed with a cell or wi-fi connection so the {crafty} DME can observe data and make changes.  You may have an enforcer at the other end that keeps resetting it.
There is a setting that defeats this connection, either called "airplane mode" or is similar to airplane mode on your cell phone.
QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Sleeprider already suggested, the best and only way to truly know what is going on here is to download install and setup Sleepyhead software so that we can see the hard data. All instructions including how to set up your sleepyhead charts are included in my signature.

If your machine and mask are set up correctly, the snoring WILL stop.
Post Reply Post Reply
My understanding (and experience) agrees with what Marillion wrote about snoring will stop if machine and mask are properly set up for the person using it.
When my pressure was set according to results from both my first and second sleep studies, I still had problems and began snoring inside the mask. The answer was that I needed higher pressure than sleep studies indicated. When my pressure was raised up to where it actually needed to be, the snoring stopped. Now, if I ever have a recurring snoring problem, I know immediately that something is not right with the mask fit or hose, or possibly a machine malfunction resulting in a lower than needed pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for all the comments! It certainly has been a rocky journey which I hope is slowly paying off.

The snoring has been much better since he uses the cervical collar and the increase in pressure (Thanks a million for the suggestions) and we have followed all the advises.
After 6 months the therapy seems to work more or less. I will make sure to post the results after using it for a few more days as we had a break in between.

We have followed the instruction to set the pressure but it needs to be reset every night manually for some strange reason. We might bring it back to the hospital to see if there is anything they can do, even though we would prefer to avoid it.

Out of interest when travelling, would you take the devise as checked in or hand luggage? We are a bit nervous as we are worried that it breaks in the checked in luggage but at the same time we worry about extensive security checks. Has anyone travelled with the machine before?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,421 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 588 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.