Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stop Breathing event with CPAP - help
RE: Stop Breathing event with CPAP - help
Panic reaction from unknown cause. At 03:55:25 preceding breaths are normal, but then a sudden high-flow inspiration to breath-hold followed by as series of rapid inspirations without exhale. Your lungs were hyperinflated 10 seconds later and you had not yet exhaled. At 03:55:37 you finally exhale the air but start hyperventilating and I see about 50 breaths over the next minute that are many times over your normal tidal volume. The hypopnea event at 03:57:30 is simply the slowing of respiratory volume, it is not a hypopnea. At this point you are super-saturated with oxygen and still have uncontrolled hyperventilation. Respiratory volume and rate start to drop after the hypopnea and is irregular awake breathing leading in to the OA event, which is again just a pause in breathing because you don't need to breathe after all that hyperventilation. Respiration remains elevated leading into the mask-off.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with CPAP therapy and is something that could happen with or without it. We cannot change settings to improve it. Whatever caused the panic reaction and hyperventilation breathing has nothing to do with CPAP. I can't explain it as anything but a brain-fart of seizure of some kind, big release of adrenaline, but the source was not respiratory.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider for your time in analyzing this, appreciate it. While somewhat unexplainable, and not due to respiratory, was scary to read the hypothetical guess of brain-fart ''seizure'', something that is probably difficult for a doctor to analyze, whether it be due to the brain (signal not getting thru), or maybe heart condition (I am overweight at the gut). Will speak to my GP about it, but worried that the issue will never be found / diagnosed / treated, and leaving the possibility for a repeat event which I never want to live thru again.

I guess the only positive outcome here is that based on the data, seems like the CPAP would not have been able to do much to get me out of this situation, which avoids having to figure out what better settings to have on the machine.

Again, appreciate your time on the analysis !!

Neil
Post Reply Post Reply
Neils, the event can't be explained with CPAP data, but people have spontaneous events that can put a big jolt of adrenaline into the blood stream. Trust me, if you ever work on a live wire and misjudge where your finger is, you will find out. DAMHIK.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Other people can answer your questions better than I but if you look at my signature (end of post) you will see how apnea is classified. ANY  apnea reported as a central or obstructive has to be at a minimum of 10 seconds with out breathing.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,172 9 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 152 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 514 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 386 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 332 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.