Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Strategy for trying on masks at the DME?
RE: Strategy for trying on masks at the DME?
Yes, the Mask Primer is fabulous. I keep it under my pillow 'cos I might need to study it in the night. (Seriously, I have been re-reading it regularly in my lead-up to the DME visit.)

I did not have a titration study. Since I had the sleep study from hell (I actually had a nightmare there which consisted of punching the assembled staff members for not listening to me), including a bed swap in the middle of the night, not having to do a second study was a big relief. The doc is leaving me to auto-titrate. Yippee!

I will have a follow up in a month or so to see how I'm doing. I'm pretty motivated, so I'm not unduly concerned.

My current planned mask strategy is to try on one of each type at the DME and go from there: pillow, nasal, full face. I do open my mouth when I sleep, but I might just be able to fix that problem if my nose is decongested via the humidifier. My biggest issue is how the harness interacts with my jaw, since I have TMJ and screws in my lower jaw.

I did try using my on-hand neck collar last night. My jaw flopped open worse than ever....

In desperation because I have the flu, I also tried (genius that I am) breathing in through my nose buried in a damp cotton rag over an old-fashioned hot water bottle (=aggressively warm moist air). Nose cleared in 3 breaths; mouth happy to be relaxed and closed. Woohoo! Easiest breathing in weeks, months....This serendipitous exercise makes me think a warm humidifier will allow me to breathe asleep without opening my mouth. This could allow me to avoid using an FFM. I might actually be able to breathe more relaxed with a CPAP machine than without one, just from having my nose be full-time operational.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2017, 09:59 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: "...a warm humidifier will allow me to breathe asleep without opening my mouth. This could allow me to avoid using an FFM. I might actually be able to breathe more relaxed with a CPAP machine than without one, just from having my nose be full-time operational."

FWIW: WARM is the key word here. YMMV but I have both humidifier and heated hose at the top settings and it's just that, WARM...to me that is. I do have an window A/C that I have to run at 68-70 F every night as well. Maybe that's playing part as well. Just pointing out what you already know...that is the moist air from your CPAP's humidifier and the steam coming out of the hot water bottle will be different temperatures.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2017, 09:59 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: In desperation because I have the flu, I also tried (genius that I am) breathing in through my nose buried in a damp cotton rag over an old-fashioned hot water bottle (=aggressively warm moist air). Nose cleared in 3 breaths; mouth happy to be relaxed and closed. Woohoo! Easiest breathing in weeks, months....This serendipitous exercise makes me think a warm humidifier will allow me to breathe asleep without opening my mouth. This could allow me to avoid using an FFM. I might actually be able to breathe more relaxed with a CPAP machine than without one, just from having my nose be full-time operational.

This screams the need for a heated hose.  Empathize this with your Dr.  Heated Hose, AirSense 10 AutoSet (or for Her model)
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2017, 10:24 PM)bonjour Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 09:59 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: In desperation because I have the flu, I also tried (genius that I am) breathing in through my nose buried in a damp cotton rag over an old-fashioned hot water bottle (=aggressively warm moist air). Nose cleared in 3 breaths; mouth happy to be relaxed and closed. Woohoo! Easiest breathing in weeks, months....This serendipitous exercise makes me think a warm humidifier will allow me to breathe asleep without opening my mouth. This could allow me to avoid using an FFM. I might actually be able to breathe more relaxed with a CPAP machine than without one, just from having my nose be full-time operational.

This screams the need for a heated hose.  Empathize this with your Dr.  Heated Hose, AirSense 10 AutoSet (or for Her model)

I believe I am getting a heated hose (I did ask the doc for one). I will for certain be picking up an AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her.

I am very pleased with myself for coming up with this method of testing whether warm and humid air will help. (In addition to everything else, it has helped my flu. Only problem is, it's not like I can spend the day with my face buried in a rag on a hot water bottle.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 348 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 221 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 493 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 456 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.