Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Struggling to Succeed - New Mask?
Struggling to Succeed - New Mask?
I've now had my CPAP for just over a month. In 38 nights, I have succeeded in sleeping with the mask on for more than 4 hours for just 8 nights - of those 8 there was just 1 night for more than 6 hours, 2 nights more than 5 hours. Every night when I put on the mask and go to sleep I tell myself "this will be the night I succeed!" And then at some point during the night I wake up and convince myself that it's okay to take it off even though most of those nights I've only used it under 3 hours. 

I thought they Resmed AirTouch F20 wasn't good for me, as I felt as if it was too much pressure on the bridge of my nose. I thought the solution would be the Resmed F30 but I was wrong, I'm got better results with the F20. 

I feel that I have to strap the F30 on tighter, to keep those holes that blow up into one's nose more closely aligned with my nostrils. (I've tried both the small and medium sized cushions.) The last couple of nights I've tried having the straps a little looser - the leak numbers are low, but I'm still not getting good duration numbers. Tonight I'll go back to trying the F20 again. 

I know that the longer I'm able to sleep with the mask on, the better I feel the next day. 4 hours plus and I'm a new man. 3 hours or less and there's no improvement in my feeling when I wake up the next morning. I'm getting frustrated. But I'm still feeling motivated to get this to work as I can see the results after the "good" nights. 

I'm wondering if I would have better results with a different mask. In Hong Kong, there's no way to "try one on for size" in the shop and they're not returnable. Given the cost of these things, buying several different ones isn't an option for me, but I'm willing to try one more. So keeping in mind that I'm a mouth-breather and a side-sleeper and I have a (short) beard), what should I try next? I can get Philips, F&P, Apex and Resmed. 

Or is there something else I should be doing or trying?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Struggling to Succeed - New Mask?
I just want to add .... for the 10 days of September, my times have varied - minimum 1:55, maximum 3:04. But AHI numbers have been very low. For 6 of the 10 nights, AHI has been 0:00. The highest AHI number in the past 10 nights was 2.45, on a night when I had the mask on for 2:51.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Mask Primer article in my signature links has a lot of helpful hints for finding an effective mask and optimizing its use. Take a look at it. My advise is to consider whether you really need a full-face mask at all. "Less is more" is a good way to look at CPAP masks. The Resmed P10 Nasal Pillows is the smallest, most minimal mask of any you will find, and since it has less surface area to seal, is the easiest to use and avoid leaks. The only requirement is that you are able to avoid loosing the pressure from your mouth. the P10 is inexpensive, widely available and often sold with all three nasal pillow sizes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2021, 08:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Mask Primer article in my signature links has a lot of helpful hints for finding an effective mask and optimizing its use.  Take a look at it.  My advise is to consider whether you really need a full-face mask at all.  "Less is more" is a good way to look at CPAP masks. The Resmed P10 Nasal Pillows is the smallest, most minimal mask of any you will find, and since it has less surface area to seal, is the easiest to use and avoid leaks.  The only requirement is that you are able to avoid loosing the pressure from your mouth. the P10 is inexpensive, widely available and often sold with all three nasal pillow sizes.

Thanks for the advice. While I can see that the P10 is quite inexpensive on Amazon, where I live they are selling it for almost the same price as the F20 and F30!  

Anyway, I most definitely am a mouth breather and I don't see that as likely to change. I'm not willing to tape my mouth up or wear a chin strap - at least not yet. I can see the advantage of a smaller, light, less obtrusive mask, but for now I'd like to see if a different full face mask would be the answer. 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 72 55 minutes ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 271 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 223 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 197 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 908 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 368 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
  [Diagnosis] New CPAP User and Struggling BladedWedge 15 815 01-23-2024, 01:45 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.