Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Struggling with leaks Resmed F40
Struggling with leaks Resmed F40
I recently got the new Resmed F40 mask and have been using it the past week. I keep struggling with leaks and the occasional "fart" noise. It mainly leaks around my nose. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to solve my issue ? Maybe ways to find the best fit for the Resmed F40.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Struggling with leaks Resmed F40
I have an F40, too. IME it leaks less than other FF masks, but gets pretty leaky at high pressure unless I use a cervical collar.

You could try tightening the straps that go up your cheeks (not so much the ones along your jaw). You might also have the wrong size mask? IIRC it comes with a mask measuring thingy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the F40 for about six weeks (standard headgear/medium mask). My pressure is similar or higher than yours (12-16). I had a lot of leakage the first few nights.  After trying several fixes, I finally realized that the upper straps were just too long for me to be able to adjust it properly.  I shortened the upper straps by about 2 inches and that seems to have solved the problem for me.  All it took was a pair of scissors and needle and thread. I cut the desired length section out of the mid portion of the upper straps and sewed them back together.  Would have been nice to have access to a sewing machine, but I don't. Without any special skills, the needle and thread worked just fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using this F40 for about 7 weeks now. I was having a hard time with leaks and I noticed that the bottom straps were key. I put the mask on loose, start the machine than adjust with the pressure. The bottom straps i tightened first, then the top just enough. I haven't had a leak in the last 2 weeks, zero leaks. Took a little trial and error until I got it down though.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I’ve seen over the years, leaks typically come from one of the following sources:
  • Incorrect mask size - too large or too small
  • Incorrect headgear size - too much to too little headgear to support the mask
  • Mask too loose - pressure inflates cushions and pushes mask away from face, but if too loose it “toots”
  • Mask too tight - causes mask to wrinkle and leaves gaps for air leaks
  • Hole in hose - bloody cats, I’ve had to replace a few already from the cheeky buggers.
  • Poorly aligned water chamber - connection from chamber to seals must be tight
  • Mouth leaks - jaw drops allows air to escape with nasal masks and pillows, with FFM the lower lip may drop below the mask.
  • Mask pushed against pillow causing it to shift - as you turn about during sleep the mask may get pushed aside by the pillow. CPAP pillows may help. Also allows mask to “toot”.
  • Hose getting caught on something and pulling mask askew - hose management is very important to avoid this
  • Gremlins - don’t feed them after midnight, let them get wet, and no bright lights
Hopefully that gives you some things to ponder.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very thorough list to try by Pizza.  I actually found a similar thing as MrIvanDrago found.  On my F & P Vitera, it recommends leaving the top straps a little looser than the bottom.  This has worked for me personally, because when I go to sleep my mask is in a good position.  When/if I move during the night, the mask will "slip" in the path of least resistance (upward) since the top straps are looser.  If I wake up during the night, the bottom of the mask is pushing up on my bottom lip (OK with me and actually sealing off my mouth) and has moved upward on my nose towards my eyes.  Less leaks have been the result trying this on several masks of different types that I have.  Bottom straps have needed to be pretty snug though for me.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2024, 08:51 AM)MrIvanDrago Wrote: I have been using this F40 for about 7 weeks now. I was having a hard time with leaks and I noticed that the bottom straps were key. I put the mask on loose, start the machine than adjust with the pressure. The bottom straps i tightened first, then the top just enough. I haven't had a leak in the last 2 weeks, zero leaks. Took a little trial and error until I got it down 
I believe this information was posted on a similar thread several weeks back.  Thank you for repeating.
I was frustrated by my F40 leaking until I followed the procedure above.  It worked for me. It’s also the procedure my DME described when she issued my mask.  She said it’s counterintuitive for the mask to fit loosely below the nose but once pressure is applied the mask expands up to the nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone remember the title of the original threads on how to get a good seal on the f40. I seem to cant find them.
Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...e-Mask-new
https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...AirFit-F40
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2024, 08:51 AM)MrIvanDrago Wrote: I have been using this F40 for about 7 weeks now. I was having a hard time with leaks and I noticed that the bottom straps were key. I put the mask on loose, start the machine than adjust with the pressure. The bottom straps i tightened first, then the top just enough. I haven't had a leak in the last 2 weeks, zero leaks. Took a little trial and error until I got it down though.

This was the post I found most useful. To don my mask, I start by placing the mask in place beneath my nose then pulling the headgear back over my head. The tip of my nose rests in the top of mask without shoving the mask against the nostrils. The masks inflates when pressure is applied to make the seal to your nose. 

Any adjustments I’ve had to make for leaks were using the bottom straps.  My headgear is a lot looser than what I needed when using the F20, especially the top straps.

I have had a little tenderness at the entrance of one nostril.  I think others have had similar experience. A dab of Aquafor before putting the mask on reduces that. 

It seems to me the F40 is little noisier where air is entering the nose. I was mistaking this noise for a leak but no air could be felt escaping.  My leak rate runs around 0.04 l/min. 

I hope some of this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Struggling with CPAP for months. Please help! auri27 8 158 07-08-2024, 08:57 PM
Last Post: auri27
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 18 1,045 07-03-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: DCLT
  Mouth leaks progress through night bamba415 6 354 07-01-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: bamba415
  Here are my results, struggling for 10+ years. UARS? Air007 7 372 06-26-2024, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  What is the problem with excessive leaks if AHI is good? RonM39 10 534 06-15-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] Struggling with treatment, looking for advice dkmk 2 209 06-08-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: dkmk
  Struggling please help ttrani01 3 183 06-02-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.